horse to be shod?

penny3

Visit site
hi everyone, bit of a stupid question really :rolleyes: but finally got our first horse a month or so ago :D , and farriers coming tomorrow to fit some new shoes, but have never done this before, so just wondering as she lives out 24/7 with rugs, but would be shod outside, alough i know this isn't ideal. We do have a shelter, but it'd be a bit of a squeeze in there. should i keep the turnout rug on her or do i have to take it off because im guessing it'd get in the way. But seen as were by the coast it's freezing around here, and im worried she may get a chill.I do also have a shorter cotton summer sheet that i could put on for the time being instead, but i'm not sure what'd be best.
Sorry if this is a ridiculous post, just me worrying all the time as usual ;) so thanks to anyone that has read this far :eek:

Jemima_P

Visit site
Depends on your farrier, leave the rug on and he'll soon say if it's in the way.
Our farrier isn't fussed about anything, we leave rugs on, he does two outside, one in her stable and the other in a small space infront of the stables!

Relax, don't worry, it will all be fine and just ask him if there's anything you're unsure of :)

PennyJ

Visit site
Usually I keep the rug on. Ask the farrier what he would like, I'm sure he'll let you know. All the ones I've seen working like to be close to the furnace in their van so that might decide where you actually do the shoeing. Best thing I find for farriers is a cup of tea/coffee as they prefer in a CLEAN mug :D

indie999

Visit site
Mine lives out 24/7 and no shelter for farrier so I bring in(if farrier is punctual then have horse ready..if you end up waiting around if feasible catch as the farrier arrives..but dont keep them waiting as they are usually busy)

I bring mine in and tie up, he is happy to wait whilst munching on a nice big haynet. My farrier expects feet to be clean and feathers so if you have a muddy legged horse. Dont hose down as you will have a very wet horse. Wipe any mud off with an old towel and make sure you pick the feet out.

You will have to remove the rug. The horse will be ok without it. A good chance to brush horse down and check over. The rug will get in the way as they do pull the legs around a bit.

As your farrier may not have met your horse you will be expected to stay and help if they want you to. I can leave mine as he knows the old boy is good.

Its quite simple just as long as the farrier is punctual..I am lucky but they have got a reputation for being unreliable!! I wish I had a nice barn in the dry. They often wont shoe or do feet in the rain etc as horse gets too slippery.

penny3

Visit site
thanks everyone! think i'll just tie her up and get her ready then, and ask if he wants the rug off :)

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
i would just tie her up, pick out and clean her feet as best you can and be guided by your farrier. farriers like tea/coffee/cake if you want to keep them on side!!!! and payment at the end. dont panic, all will be fine i am sure..

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
Mine lives out 24/7 and no shelter for farrier so I bring in(if farrier is punctual then have horse ready..if you end up waiting around if feasible catch as the farrier arrives..but dont keep them waiting as they are usually busy)

I bring mine in and tie up, he is happy to wait whilst munching on a nice big haynet. My farrier expects feet to be clean and feathers so if you have a muddy legged horse. Dont hose down as you will have a very wet horse. Wipe any mud off with an old towel and make sure you pick the feet out.

You will have to remove the rug. The horse will be ok without it. A good chance to brush horse down and check over. The rug will get in the way as they do pull the legs around a bit.

As your farrier may not have met your horse you will be expected to stay and help if they want you to. I can leave mine as he knows the old boy is good.

Its quite simple just as long as the farrier is punctual..I am lucky but they have got a reputation for being unreliable!! I wish I had a nice barn in the dry. They often wont shoe or do feet in the rain etc as horse gets too slippery.

I live with a farrier and I would say this is ABSOLUTELY the right answer.
Rugs make horses a bit unresponsive,so the farriers job is much easier if the rug is off.
Mud blunts rasps,makes the shoes harder to burn on,makes seeing the details hard for the farrier and is of course unpleasant once your hands are plastered in it.
Wet legs=wet hands for farrier and in this weather wet hands soon become cold and less effective.
Feet should always be picked out.......You would not expect your dentist to remove the cabbage from your teeth before examining them!:D

If you can manage to make a good cup of tea/coffee and even cake/cookies that would be much appreciated..........but not as much as the above and a well behaved horse.

So yours is not a stupid question.
More people should ask it!