Horse to ride for professionally trained dressage rider

Wannabrider

New User
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm in London until June next year and worked & trained with a international dressage rider in Europe and after a year off riding and not working with horses am having withdrawls!!

Does anyone know anywhere that is not too far from London where it is possible to go and ride or have lessons on weekends? Or sites where I could place an ad for someone who may want help with riding or schooling their own horse?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you.

truffles

Visit site
There are lots of riding schools around Richmond - helped at one for a while - it's far nicer to go in winter when it is colder - and if you hack in Richmond Park it's just beautiful.
smile.gif

Good luck - there are plenty in London, you just need to look. google might help.
smile.gif

Abs

Visit site
There are loads of places to ride in central London - Stag Lodge at Richmond and Hyde Park are the two that spring to mind - oh, and the Ealing Riding School and Dulwich stables. If you want a more 'equestrian centre' Essex has an awful lot of competition yards and centres. Do you have transport?

Wannabrider

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, I will check out the suggestions made!

No I don't have my own transport as I'm going home next June, which is why it would need to be reasonably accessible using public transport. I can hire a car for weekends but would not be able to do this every weekend.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There are loads of places to ride in central London - Stag Lodge at Richmond and Hyde Park are the two that spring to mind - oh, and the Ealing Riding School and Dulwich stables. If you want a more 'equestrian centre' Essex has an awful lot of competition yards and centres. Do you have transport?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't reccomend Dulwich at all - live two mins away from there - It's absolutely horrible.
frown.gif

But can reccomend Stag Lodge
tongue.gif
used to help there - the hacking is fantastic, and the people and horses are lovely. But good to go in winter. Summer is not so nice.

Abs

Visit site
I'd try Stag Lodge in that case. The park is lovely to ride in (but you will have to go accompanied, and you can't jump or go faster than a medium canter) so you may find it quite restrictive. Plus I'll warn you now, it ain't cheap!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd try Stag Lodge in that case. The park is lovely to ride in (but you will have to go accompanied, and you can't jump or go faster than a medium canter) so you may find it quite restrictive. Plus I'll warn you now, it ain't cheap!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can jump, but not in the park. as for medium canter....weelll...
wink.gif

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have been told off by park rangers far too many times...still, when no one is looking at 7am!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh 7am in the park must be amazing!
smile.gif
Well, they don't hang around hamstraight that often...*oops, off we go*
wink.gif

Abs

Visit site
It's been a while since I rode in the park, but my first accident on my new 4 year old (who is now 11!) was when she was startled by a deer very early one morning (I liked to go out before the riding schools) out by the ballet school. She reared up and feel backwards on me..I thought we were both broken, but eventually we got up - I'd sprained my ankle and dislodged my kneecap (on different legs!) and just as I was wondering how I would get home an elderly Italian gentleman came running over shouting "I see everyting" and after much confusion gave me a leg up..Abs managed to get us back despite me practically passed out on her back..and she's never reared up since!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's been a while since I rode in the park, but my first accident on my new 4 year old (who is now 11!) was when she was startled by a deer very early one morning (I liked to go out before the riding schools) out by the ballet school. She reared up and feel backwards on me..I thought we were both broken, but eventually we got up - I'd sprained my ankle and dislodged my kneecap (on different legs!) and just as I was wondering how I would get home an elderly Italian gentleman came running over shouting "I see everyting" and after much confusion gave me a leg up..Abs managed to get us back despite me practically passed out on her back..and she's never reared up since!

[/ QUOTE ]

eek! that must have been scary! thank god an italian man came to your rescue!
grin.gif

Abs

Visit site
It was, it just took me about 10 minutes to tell him all he needed to do was hold the pony..he kept trying to get me to lie down!!

katiejaye

Visit site