Horse trailer help please for large horses

hankster76

New User
Visit site
I have an Ifor Williams HBX 511 (new fancy one) for taking a 14.2 pony and 17.3 hunter. For six months it worked absolutely fine but then the 17.3 hunter had problems staying upright particularly on left hand corners. He is absolutely fine if we take the partition out and he has the trailer to himself.

We have given him a break, done a bit of trailer training but cannot stay upright on left hand corners if the partition is in. I presume it is a lack of space to balance. He braces himself on the back bar,over leans and his legs slip out of the side.

Can anyone recommend another trailer with more room that may allow us to take 2 horses?

THanks in advance for any comments.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Could be lack of space but it could also be that he is hurting somewhere and is finding it painful to stand. Have you checked tyre pressure etc?

hankster76

New User
Visit site
Could be lack of space but it could also be that he is hurting somewhere and is finding it painful to stand. Have you checked tyre pressure etc?
I have checked tyre pressure and had physio out. We haven't found any source of pain.

I think the HBX range has a different suspension system and wondered whether this caused a problem.

Annagain

Visit site
Have you tried putting him on the ‘wrong’ side? My old boy does this if he’s on the right but he’s fine on the left. My friend has one that can only go on the right. Luckily the other two they travel with can go on either side so swap according to their travel partner.

If that doesn’t work, mine also travels well on an Equitrek. You can adjust the partition to give the bigger one a bit more width as long as the smaller one can cope with less space. Travelling backwards seems easier for some. They don’t have the best build quality but they’re a brilliant design and horses really seem to like them.

HeyMich

Visit site
If that doesn’t work, mine also travels well on an Equitreck. You can adjust the partition to give the bigger one a bit more width as long as the smaller one can cope with less space. Travelling backwards seems easier for some. They don’t have the best build quality but they’re a brilliant design and horses really seem to like them.

Yep, what she said. My big Irish idiot travels really well in our rear facing Equitrek trailer, in fact the ponies do too. Plenty of space, tows really nicely, and the wee tack room is such a luxury, I'd really struggle without it now! Definitely worth a try.

spacefaer

Visit site
We have 17.2-18hh Irish draughts and travel them in either a Richardson Rice B60 which is larger than average or our Rice Equipoise which is rear facing. They travel so well in both - they're very stable trailers that tow very quietly

L&M

Visit site
We had similar problems with our larger horse - we had a Richardson Ultra, which takes 2 x 17.2hh. Initially he travelled well with my cob, but then all of sudden started to lose balance - we tried everything but unfortunately the only solution we found was to travel him on his own and without the partition.

Like you we needed to travel two, so I had to buy a 3.5t for my lad and we travelled everywhere in convoy - a very expensive experience especially as 3 mnths after buying the 3.5t, the larger horse sustained a fracture and had to be put down........!

However we replaced him with a smaller model, sold the trailer and happily travel the new horse and my lad in the 3.5t without an issue.

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear......

irishdraft

Visit site
I had this with a couple of big hunters over the years unfortunately only ever managed to travel them with no partition. I think once they start to scrabble it's difficult to stop it .