Horse Travel Help

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Which side of the vehicle should I be travelling May on? I travel her forward facing on the passenger side as its a bigger space and I have my muck bucket/water/porta loo/boots box etc in the other partition

But someone from the yard was behind me for the last part of the journey home and said the horsebox was really leaning round the corners. I can't feel it when driving, but don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Should I be travelling her on the other side, or just take the partion out? The space on the other side is quite narrow from what she is used to.

This is her in the box
Photo-0444.jpg
Photo-0381.jpg

_daisy_

Visit site
yes but - I have a EquiTrek and due to the way the horses are travelled, the heaviest horse (or only horse if it travels alone) goes on the side furthest away from the ramp so this means it is in the gutter part of the road.
Supposed to be something to do with the weight distribution.
Maybe this is the case in your wagon?

lalalalala

Visit site
Lesley has an equitrek, which has a sideramp coming down on the left - (passenger side) so heaviest horse goes furthest in.

I was always told to travel the horse (or the heaviest horse) on the right hand side due to the shape of the road.

_daisy_

Visit site
our ramp comes down on the drivers side and they face backwards so the heaviest horse goes in first then the lighter one second right next to the ramp. Well this is what I was told by EquiTrek but will happily be stood corrected.

not_with_it

Visit site
I have never understood equiteck trailers. They seem to be back to front.
tongue.gif

I have always travelled the horse on the drivers side. Always thought this was the correct way.

_daisy_

Visit site
they are back to front - the horses travell backwards!!!!
grin.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

yes my sentiments exactly but challenged them when they told me and like I said something to do with weight distrubution I think he said
confused.gif

***goes off to find book we got with trailer to see if I can find out*****

think it is in a normal trailer eg Ifor,rice etc, but maybe the weight of the ramp evens out the change in camber???
confused.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
just checked little booklet and it states this:

[ QUOTE ]
If travelling with only one horse, it is best to carry it on the side furthest away from the ramp or if carrying two horses the largest one furthest away from the ramp and the smallest next to the ramp

[/ QUOTE ]

doesnt say why, but trailer is due to go for servicing so will double check why this has to be and get back to you all

_jetset_

Visit site
I am so pleased I have read this post (well, the Equi-Trek bit)... I have an Equi-Trek and always travel my horse on the side furthest away from the ramp. But someone had a bit of a go at me because of it, but my mare seems happier on that side when she is on that side.

Thanks for letting me know I am doing the right thing... I can tell the person they were wrong now and it eases my mind when travelling my girls.

SusieJane

Visit site
If travelling with only one horse, it is best to carry it on the side furthest away from the ramp or if carrying two horses the largest one furthest away from the ramp and the smallest next to the ramp

Surely Equitrek are made for the European market ~ therefore would be driven on the right hand side of road (so heaviest horse would be on drivers side)

?