Horse tripped/fallen

fleabag

Visit site
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any ideas that I can explore!
My horse has tripped and fallen to his knee on 2 occasions this week. This has never happened before, he can be quite laidback and is no mountain goat but generally ok across all terrain. Both occasions were on smooth concrete surfaces. I’m wondering if he is uncomfortable somewhere namely feet? Saddle and teeth done in the last 2 months. Shod every 5 weeks last being done 3 weeks ago. I have attached a picture of off fore and would appreciate any comments. Thanks ? 1041F7D8-05E9-45B2-A39F-839DE75B75A1.jpeg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
*Sighs in sympathy*

OP, sadly your farrier has done a shocking job on those feet. Don’t give him/her a chance to correct the balance, sack them and find a good farrier.

Maybe consult your vet about who to use (been there, done that).

ETA The toes are far too long, that will be contributing to the tripping. Hopefully once the balance is corrected, the tripping will stop.

fleabag

Visit site
Thanks for all responses. You have confirmed my suspicions. I am correct in think the angle of the pastern should match the angle of the hoof? Is that the main issue here or is there another problem?
Current farrier is very well respected in the area ? will ring vets on Monday morning for their recommendations. Sadly I don’t think he would cope without shoes as near fore has a crack. If I take further pictures tonight I would love other feedback on near fore as has been on ongoing issue. I am careful diet wise as is prone to tying up. So I’m confident sugars are as low as I can possibly manage.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Unfortunately the heels are badly underrun as well as the long toe.

Cracks are often due to imbalance and I've seen some bad ones grow out when horses were taken barefoot and the foot could balance itself, it's not necessarily a barrier.

fleabag

Visit site
Has been shod on 5 week cycle since may, prior to this was done 6 weekly but I thought they kept getting long quickly so brought shoeing forwards!

fleabag

Visit site
Unfortunately the heels are badly underrun as well as the long toe.

Cracks are often due to imbalance and I've seen some bad ones grow out when horses were taken barefoot and the foot could balance itself, it's not necessarily a barrier.

the crack comes from an old injury to the coronet. Interesting though... have given me something to think about. Will discuss with vet. Thanks again ?

ycbm

Visit site
the crack comes from an old injury to the coronet. Interesting though... have given me something to think about. Will discuss with vet. Thanks again ?

That's more of a problem. At the least, I'm afraid you do need a new farrier.

fleabag

Visit site
Just to add more into the mix ???‍♀️ Can totally see what you mean now with the heels! It’s so hard when you look at them everyday. I’m kicking myself.
34668271-967C-4C13-917A-07F6C6919981.jpeg25704E76-A035-4765-810B-90E379662A7B.jpeg88218BCA-771F-46D4-9E63-5BD5D78A75C2.jpeg661D1027-7A31-4A2D-9282-E08287D19E1A.jpegBA3E4C33-2B8B-4D89-A219-9AD1D1A99D47.jpeg3C5F777C-4291-4A76-8042-DA35EF59DCDF.jpeg46E583E0-78E2-4053-8844-6860573E3305.jpeg

BBP

Visit site
Agree with everyone else. Sack the farrier straight away, don’t give them a chance to ‘fix’ it. They have done an awful job for you. It’s hard as an owner when you put your faith in professionals to do a good job, but you will learn a lot from this, you will start to read up and obsess (like the rest of us) about balance and angles and heels. And then you will be able to confidently assess the work your new farrier or trimmer does. Revisit the diet too, to see if it’s hoof friendly.

fleabag

Visit site
Thanks again everyone. I am Chesterfield, Derbyshire if anyone has any farrier suggestions or hoof supplement recommendations?! ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Thanks again everyone. I am Chesterfield, Derbyshire if anyone has any farrier suggestions or hoof supplement recommendations?! ?
Progressive earth pro hoof, equimins advance or forage plus

sherry90

Visit site
Highly recommend pro balance by progressive earth feeding for good feet! I’m not anti shoe but they are doing nothing for your horses feet. Get another farrier out, a decent trim and see where to go from there. You might find you won’t need shoes longer term when you can get the foot in a better shape to start with ?

alibali

Visit site
As everyone before me has already said those feet are shocking. It is difficult to see when you're looking at them every day and also when there are many other horses with under run shod hooves about. It seems to me there is something about shoeing which seems to encourage toes to creep forward and heels to collapse unless your farrier manages to stay on top of it.

That said barefoot is not for every owner (nor for every horse, those with metabolic issues seem to struggle and need more exact management) and whilst my default preference for my own is unshod I'm not evangelical about it and if I thought an individual horse would have better welfare shod then that's what I'd do.

Even if you feel barefoot might not be for you and your horse I'd encourage you to have a look at the Rockley Farm blog. They post photographic updates of their rehabs and it really helps train your eye to see hoof balance, under run heels etc and notice the changes as the hoof grows in. I certainly learned an awful lot from looking at as many hoof pics as I could get my hands on.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
As everyone before me has already said those feet are shocking. It is difficult to see when you're looking at them every day and also when there are many other horses with under run shod hooves about. It seems to me there is something about shoeing which seems to encourage toes to creep forward and heels to collapse unless your farrier manages to stay on top of it.

That said barefoot is not for every owner (nor for every horse, those with metabolic issues seem to struggle and need more exact management) and whilst my default preference for my own is unshod I'm not evangelical about it and if I thought an individual horse would have better welfare shod then that's what I'd do.

Even if you feel barefoot might not be for you and your horse I'd encourage you to have a look at the Rockley Farm blog. They post photographic updates of their rehabs and it really helps train your eye to see hoof balance, under run heels etc and notice the changes as the hoof grows in. I certainly learned an awful lot from looking at as many hoof pics as I could get my hands on.

OP you could do far worse than think about sending him to Rockley for rehab. Sorry to be blunt but I'm really shocked at those feet, your farrier is appalling :oops:

ycbm

Visit site
If you took the shoes off it wouldn't need to be a permanent thing if it wasn't for you but a few months would help tremendously

I also don't see that crack as being a barrier to barefoot. Higher up it is no more than a superficial line, it's the appalling toe that has split it apart.