Horse tripping for no apparant reason am I right to be worried?

mudmonkey17

Visit site
As title really. Last couple of hacks horse has tripped few times with last one being quite bad and ended up with me hitting the floor.

I am quite concerned as this not normal for him. Have got farrier coming next week as he due so am hoping is due to shoeing issue.

Also have a Mctimory practitioner coming to see him as he is resistant on the left rein.

Is there anything else should be considering? If nothing picked up this week and he carries on will contact vet.

He only seems to be doing on a hack and doesn't feel lame and is going forward not just ambling along on a loose rein.

Farma

Visit site
There could be alot of reasons but I would be having a blood test done. Take your vets advise on this.

TJ&Ozzie

Visit site
My 22 yr old has started this recently, farrier couldn't find anything and he is fine in himself. He can be quite nappy so I am wondering if this the latest "thing" of I don't want to go out. Hacking out with a friend tomorrow so will see how he is with someone else.

Hope you get answers soon.

Sophstar

Visit site
could be as simple as his toes are too long through to the signs of arthritis...my boy started stumbling just before he got diagnosed with hock arthritis and when he had a flare up.

TJ&Ozzie

Visit site
Arthritis is my great concern with my old boy. farrier couldnt find anything he is shod all round and fine in himself. I've probably done the worst thing by googling the symptoms and arthritis seems to be the one that comes up. He is an ex P2P and has been stamped for loss of use before so it doesn't bode well :(

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I am hoping is long toes but he already has arthritis in front and in hocks which he had medicated with good effect 6 month ago. Am dreading it being that progressing faster than before. Had been a very slow progression over the years and he is on the whole perfectly sound

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, never thought of a problem with saddle. Fingers crossed get to bottom of it and it nothing too serious

sophiebailey

Visit site
my old man was doing the same, turned out to be two things;

he'd changed shape and saddle didn't fit properly

he had a weak left shoulder

Had the saddle re adjusted and had the physio out to see him twice, kept up his daily exercises and now I can't remember the last time he tripped :)

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Thanks for those suggestions making me feel a bit more optimistic. He is stuff through left shoulder hence why am getting Physio out so maybe this is the problem?

sophiebailey

Visit site
Thanks for those suggestions making me feel a bit more optimistic. He is stuff through left shoulder hence why am getting Physio out so maybe this is the problem?

Sounds just like my boy :) very stiff through the left and reluctant to canter on the left rein. Two visits and I've kept up his exercises for 6months + and he's alot stronger on his left now xx

Kiristamm

Visit site
Probably not what you would want to hear, but I have had two horses who did this, both had arthritis in the knee. They were bute-ed but PTS with in a year. I would get the vet out if I were you to rule this out.

binkymerlin

Visit site
Arthritis is my great concern with my old boy. farrier couldnt find anything he is shod all round and fine in himself. I've probably done the worst thing by googling the symptoms and arthritis seems to be the one that comes up. He is an ex P2P and has been stamped for loss of use before so it doesn't bode well :(

same our big fellow started tripping. seems he has bad arthritis. sorry to worry you. i would get his joints x-rayed.

GT_02

Visit site
Mine tripped for no apparent reason, turned out the saddle was pinching.

I've also had this problem with my 24 yo - I borrowed a dressage saddle to try him in and he tripped repeatedly. Put him back in his usual one and he was fine again. I couldn't believe how much an ill fitting saddle could affect him - I'd be inclined to get it checked, just in case.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Mudmonkey - not going to offer any suggestions other than make him walk out properly - juts make sure you don't let him slack along. I hope you get it sorted. x

amandap

Visit site
If he doesn't trip when walking/moving actively on his own then imo you need to look at all the ridden stuff such as saddle fit, your riding, his back and anything that could cause him to alter his gait, shorten his stride etc.

dilbert

Visit site
It could be lots of things, in addition to what's ben said already it could be sore feet, lammi type problems , my cob has EPSM and trips when he's over tired or just not concentrating. Good luck with the vet.

cobmum

Visit site
I know it different but my dog started doing this vet checked ears in case it was an issue with balance, hower tripping got worse and it turned out to be arthrisis as soon as put on pain killetrs his trippibg became less and much less dramatic. I hope this is not the case for your horse but best to get checked asap as he could be in pain.

amberhorse

New User
Visit site
Many horses will catch a toe if slacking along on a loose rein, but as they age they no longer have the strength to save themselves. Natural balance shoes gave my elderly mare several extra years of stumble free hacking.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am hoping is long toes but he already has arthritis in front and in hocks which he had medicated with good effect 6 month ago. Am dreading it being that progressing faster than before. Had been a very slow progression over the years and he is on the whole perfectly sound

what was he medicated with? It might well be his indication to you that the beneficial effects have now worn off and he now needs further treatment. I would speak to your vet first and foremost.