Horse Very Lame - WWYD? (No vets unless emergency so a bit stressed)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So I will try to include all relevant details. About 3 weeks ago Jacob came in from the field about 2/10ths on a front left leg. I had the farrier out and no sign of anything, and he had a fat leg on that side. Cold hosed for 4 days twice a day. He had more noticeable heat the day after the first day on the inside of his fetlock so I assumed he bashed himself. Had 4 days boxrest, a week and a half off work total, and then we resumed as normal as he was sound and the leg had gone back down.

Fast forward to today and he has come in very lame (but not broken leg lame, just a bit hoppy/laboured) on that same leg. This time the whole of the back of this leg, from knee down is thick. He also has a pulse at the back, under the knee in the opposite leg. Lame on the hard/soft and slightly more lame on stony/uneven ground. I had the farrier out and he had a dig and found the site of an abscess, dug more and expected pus but got blood instead. He has said that this could be an the site of an old abscess, explaining the previous lameness which has now passed and is not the cause of this lameness, or it could be the current problem.

I have kept the shoe off of course and have wet poulticed, I have also kept him in. My intention is to put the ice boots on him tomorrow morning and assess where we are.

As the vets are only open for emergencies, I just thought I would post on here to see what you guys think and what your plan would be if you were in the same boat? I am a bit neurotic about legs and leg lameness after the issues I had with my old horse, so I am feeling very stressed by it.

Last edited:

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Can you ring the vet for advice? Ours are only open for emergencies, but they will advise if it constitutes an emergency or not.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would expect to be able to discuss this with a vet over the phone tbh.
To add mine have said they're only doing essential visits.
A horse that is hopping lame would be on my essential list. I'd def be on the phone tomorrow. They might tell you to do some more things first but I'd prefer to be on the radar at this point.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I will call them first thing tomorrow morning - I did think this but a couple of people on the yard said that they didn’t think it would warrant it at this point.

I think hopping makes it sound worse than it is, he is fully weight baring, not resting the leg and walking but he is definitely labouring that leg, with head bob.

Thanks for all responses.

SEL

Visit site
Our vets are doing a telephone triage and I'm pretty sure they'd look at a video too if you can email.

They are attending with vet, nurse and their own equipment so owners can keep at a distance. I'd call them in your situation.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I had the vet out this morning - he has found a split in the sole of that foot and he thinks he has trodden on a flint and pierced/slit it. It's obviously painful when pressed and not sure how farrier missed it when he was digging around but everyone is human. Sole squishy where there is a blood blister type thing under it. So now having the shoe put back on, iodine and sugar on it in the meantime and 5 days worth of antibiotics to be on the safe side.

Vet definitely doesn't think it's a tendon, and thinks his full legs are him compensating and being kept in overnight - I still think he has tweaked something, but we will find out over the next couple of days. I may cold hose once the dressing is off his foot. Advice is to keep him in until he is more sound and then put him out - which isn't ideal in this current climate but it is what it is.

Feeling cautiously relieved.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Hope Jacob is starting to feel better??

Thank you - he went out again today for the first time, so have my fingers crossed. He is 99% sound now, but takes the odd dodgy step. His leg did very much fill, so much so that I called the vet again but they said it will be from being in so much, and where he had lymphangitis (spelling?!) in that leg a couple of years ago, it will be more susceptible to filling, and as I was going down slightly when I cold hosed and walked him, they weren't concerned.

I will wait and see what it is like when he comes back in today. Lami is something I was worried about, but I am hoping that we did find the correct cause, and that nothing will rear it's head further down the line.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So Jacob came in this morning very flat and slow, not wanting to stand on his back leg and leaning on the stable wall to take the weight off, all four legs very swollen but the near hind the most - lymphangitis (which he has had before a couple of years ago before I owned him, so not covered by insurance, it turned to sepsis back then too and nearly killed him). He also had a temp of 40.7!! So speedy vet call, and he confirmed what I thought.

Injected equiv to 3 bute, anti inflammatories, and anti biotics, and will do the same again tomorrow morning, then I have to give him oral antibi's. Advice is to turn him out in the meantime so he can keep moving.

Unrelated to the first issue, totally different leg, but just the worst timing. Right when I go down to furlough 80% pay! Sods law x 1000.

Michen

Visit site
Sorry to read this but sounds like you have intervened quickly. Fingers crossed xxx also sorry re furlough xx