Horse Walker - do you and how long for?

quirky

Visit site
A horse walker seems to be a must have item on yards round our way.

If you have access to one:
How often do you use it?
and
How long and at what pace are the horses on it?

At a previous yard, it was up to 3 times a week for 20 mins in walk in one direction. Direction was changed each day, so they had even direction of travel.

Current yard, 50 mins 6 days a week at a fast walk, just breaking trot. Direction change at 25 mins.

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I don't have one with my horses/ use one.

However the horses at Uni are on it each day for 30 mins in walk.. not particularly fast.

Then at weekends when theyre not ridden theyre on it for an hour.

They dont have turnout though..

Mahoganybay

Visit site
We have a horse walker at the yard! Horses are stable kept during the winter (unfortunately)! I use the walker to walm up my horse prior to schooling, which I do 2-3 times a week.

He goes on for 10 minutes each direction at a brisk walk.

HashRouge

Visit site
My current boss (show jumper) only likes his horses on for a 5-10 min leg stretch either in the afternoon if they aren't in the fields (they will have been ridden in the morning) or 5-10 mins in the morning if they aren't leaving for a show until later and the horses won't otherwise get exercised. My previous boss (also showjumper) used the walker as more of a fittening tool and horses would go on for 45 mins when not ridden, usually 2-3 times a week.

budley95

Visit site
I don't have access to one on my yard, but the eventer I muck out for once a week does. Horses go on it whilst they're being mucked out, and depending on their fitness depends on how long they stay on. It's a brisk walk and for the horses without shoes, they're on it for 10 minutes tops, for her top horses that are uber fit, they're on it for 30 - 45 mins and then they're worked of an afternoon.

Not much turnout available during the winter because of the rubbish soil our way unfortunately!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I used mine twice a day every day for 2 months. 20 mins a time while boy was on box rest and I had to get him walking

Was a good send. I actually moved to the yard for the walker

Since Feb when he came back into work. I've probably used it 5 times. Just to get him out of the way while I mucked out