horse walkers

UKa

community.webshots.com
In your opinion, how far can they replace say, one day's exercise for a horse that is usually in light-medium work (i.e schooling 2-3 times a week plus hacking 2 x a week)? I just wonder as this week I had no choice but to stick mine in the walker for 30-40 three times this week (and rode once in the school) due to lack of time and transport - thought this at least keeps her ticking over but how much good does it actually do? I would think that a good walk around will be quite beneficial though and we are due out hacking again at the weekend, what do people think, don;t want this to become habit every day but may have to resort to walker more often during the winter, am I doing the right thing? Sorry, may sound stupid ...

ljubb

Visit site
You are so lucky to have a walker... any work is better than no work and a change is as good as a rest.

By using the walker you will building up their base fitness with little concussion on their joints.

When i was on a yard with a walker we used to pop the eventers on the walker for 10mins before and after schooling to warm up/cool them down effectively.

UKa

community.webshots.com
I am starting to appreciate having it - never had one before and didnt think much of them but I think it will come in handy now - thanks for this, sounds like there is some benefit to be gained

loopeepee

Visit site
I dont know about replacing the work as such.. . but it will as you say, keep her ticking over.
We have one, and whilst the horses are being mucked out in the morning, they go on for an hour, walking out pace.
However, the do have their downfalls. . . the second lot have to go slower because it gets slippy after the 1st's lots mess which is left on it. Luckily, mine went on first this morning, until the slow noggin who was infront of him stopped worked and broke the damn thing. Horse in front promptly feel over and got stuck, mine cut his head, and the horse in front of the nerd also fell over.
Catastophie at 7.30 in the morn! Talk about a start to the day!

icemaiden113

Visit site
We use one at work, all the horses go on while being mucked out and if time is short or we have a young horse we put them on in tack with side reins so they are working to the best of there ability!

Nailed

Visit site
walker is a god-send.
Ted has lyphangitis so if he is not goign out he goes on the walker while i do his box and he then gets ridden at night.
It will keep you neddy ticking over, obviously no outline, but they will enjoy the rest and the opportunity to walk as the want.
Lou x

vicm2509

Visit site
I usually stick Baron in the walker to cool down while I finish my jobs. I will pop him in there for about 30 mins or so if I dont have time to ride him and I have put him in there with tack and loose side reins on before aswell, just so I feel he is doing a bit of work. He happily walks round and I actually think he prefers it to being ridden!

I do feel a bit guilty sometimes but its better than no exercise at all. I find the walker at our yard is hardly used at all in the summer, come winter its always full.