Horse welfare officers Help and advice

wildcard

Visit site
Im wondering if anyone can tell me how i can find out if someone is a welfare officer!!

Long story short.. we have a mare and foal on our yard foal is now 2yrs old not been weaned never left mothers side and still shares the same stable even though both horses are approx 15.1.. and the owner couldnt give 2 hoots to be perfectly honest..

so heres the dilema horses are let out everyday, given fresh hay and water topped up.. never cleaned out and they dont drink it as is disgusting and stale.. so all isnt too bad until you see what they are sleeping on... Pure sh** the stable is easily 2ft high in poo..this is no exageration!! all the owner does is put 2 flaps of fresh straw on top which dosent even cover the bed.. They are stood on there own poo which is very wet and smelly..

Now im not trying to be a busy body and interfere but i just wondered what peoples thoughts were and if a welfare officer should step in.. as we do supposidily have one on the yard.. yet i cant find out where she is one for?? any idea how i can find out where she is one for?? and do you think this situation is okay as they arent really been what some poeple might think as neglected??

be positive

Visit site
This is really the yard owners job they should have standards of care that they expect from the liveries, even DIY should be overseen, in my opinion, there is duty of care for situations like this. I could not stay on a yard where the owners are not taking responsibility and allowing this to happen, for a start 2 sharing an normal sized stable is a welfare issue.
Not answering your question but I would start by approaching the YO.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sounds like a mixture of neglect, bone idleness and general lack of intelligence.

As Positive says, your YO should be the first port of call, as they too have a duty of care. If they take no immediate action on the state of the stable, water etc. Time to ring the WHW.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I was a welfare officer and I aggree totally with the post above this is a job for the YO'er.
We had a enough trouble trying to do something for horses that where two parts starved when often everything was stacked against us .
the yard owner needs to take control of what's going on on her yard WHW and the BHS would probally be happy to assist the yard owner in getting the owner to sort this out .
I would tread carefully with the yard owner the last thing you want to do is end up being seen as the problem.
Good luck with it

wildcard

Visit site
yeah i totally agree i dont want to end up upsetting the YO as been there a very long time and they are wonderful .. but what happens if she has seen the situation and has done nothing.. hyperthetically speaking...

and also how do i find out if the lady on the yard ACTUALLY is a welfare officer.. or if she is just using this title in cases which suit her to pay interest..and to get involved the owner of the horses and the supposid welfare officer are good friends could this be why she has done nothing??

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
yeah i totally agree i dont want to end up upsetting the YO as been there a very long time and they are wonderful .. but what happens if she has seen the situation and has done nothing.. hyperthetically speaking...

You phone the WHW.

and also how do i find out if the lady on the yard ACTUALLY is a welfare officer.. or if she is just using this title in cases which suit her to pay interest..and to get involved the owner of the horses and the supposed welfare officer are good friends could this be why she has done nothing??

Phone the WHW and say you are concerned that someone you know is posing as a welfare officer and what should you do.

Goldenstar

Visit site

and also how do i find out if the lady on the yard ACTUALLY is a welfare officer.. or if she is just using this title in cases which suit her to pay interest..and to get involved the owner of the horses and the supposid welfare officer are good friends could this be why she has done nothing??

You need to find out which organisation she is working for or volunteering with,the more I hear the more I caution you if you like the yard and your horse is happy there tread quietly and gently
Your main responsiblity is to your horse there are thousands of horses out there being kept in less than ideal situations you can see these two but this yours comes first.

wildcard

Visit site
Treading very carefully at the moment and havent actually done anything about it as yet.. wanted to get peoples opinions and thoughts about how should be tackled first and then decide if like you say is worth creating upset..

Just thought id mention im enquiring on behalf of all the yard bar the supposid welfare officer and the HO.. couple of people have already threatened to call the RSPCA. but i warned them to hold off until wed found out some information about what possible outcomes may be.. and if is really worth tackling..

am i right is thinking WHS is welfare horse society?? am presuming them must have a website to contact which might show local welfare officers??

Cuffey

Visit site
All BHS Volunteers carry a card with picture ID renewed every 2 years as long as you undertake regular training. Cards have Issue date and Expiry date.

There are other charities who have volunteer welfare officers.
If someone is saying they are a welfare volunteer they should be happy to tell you which charity they volunteer for.

World Horse Welfare does not have volunteer welfare officers only paid Field Officers

Last edited: