Horse with blocked nasal passage WWYD?

Doormouse

Visit site
Long, long and very expensive story but cut short, last September my very precious old man had to have 2 upper back teeth removed as one was rotten and the other fractured. Surgeon rang me during removal to warn that removing both (fractured one hadn't shown on x-ray) could make healing tricky. Well, he wasn't kidding!

1 month on and the packing fell out, very snotty nose resumed. Back to hospital to debride hole and repack. Packing fell out 2 weeks later. Snots resumes, begins to stink after a month. Anyway, this goes on with masses of course of antibiotics all winter, sometimes the snot I'd better, sometimes it is awful.

Eventually we decide that Dr Green is the best so,union and so in April he was turned out in a huge field with lots of grass and shelter. 1 month on, no snot, dry nose (I cried with joy) and all seems better. Another month on, snot is back and flies are making him unhappy so in he comes.

Back in work, looks fabulous, quite tubby and shiny but still snotty. Last week he had 4 tiny nosebleeds. Vets out yesterday to scope to check for signs of a guttural pouch infection. One side clear as a bell, the non snotty side. The other side they couldn't actually get in as there is a huge cyst that is blocking the nasal passage which is were the infection is seated. The hole between the mouth and the sinus hasn't healed and probably now never will.

He is 17 with a slightly dodgy check ligament, he is not mine, lent, and he is not insured for vets fees. So far it has cost me £3000+ and I simply don't have anymore money, I sold my youngster in April to pay the bill.

The vets are saying that he can cope with only one nostril working and the fitter and weller he is the better he will cope. Eventually the infection will eat through his bone and that will be the end but they think that may be a year off yet.

I am really struggling, my instinct says it is wrong of me to keep him going when something is so seriously not right, I am terrified I will be putting him through it for my sake only. Vets seem adamant he is ok, he does look very well, is eating and is cheerful but I'm just not feeling comfortable with the thought of putting him under pressure to get him fit.

Please could you all kindly give me some of your thoughts?

SusieT

Visit site
Personally I'd definitely not put him under pressure and for me if he can't be turned out to enjoy life without discomfort I'd pts..

Doormouse

Visit site
Personally I'd definitely not put him under pressure and for me if he can't be turned out to enjoy life without discomfort I'd pts..

Lévrier;13581610 said:
This for me too I'm afraid

He hates being out, it is frankly his idea of hell. Despite the nicest field in the world this spring he looked very hopeful everyday when I went to see him that I had brought the lorry.

I'm afraid this is my feeling too, despite the vets saying they have the capacity to cope, I just can't really see how.

be positive

Visit site
He hates being out, it is frankly his idea of hell. Despite the nicest field in the world this spring he looked very hopeful everyday when I went to see him that I had brought the lorry.

I'm afraid this is my feeling too, despite the vets saying they have the capacity to cope, I just can't really see how.

He may be able to cope but living with an infection that is going to keep pulling him down is not fair to him or you, why on earth would a vet think this is acceptable for any horse, unless the infection can be treated properly I don't think there is any other option but to pts while he is looking well.

GirlFriday

Visit site
a) Speak to another vet (assuming this is beyond realms of equine dentistry)
b) Speak to horse's owner

17 is by no means old and really very, very few horses (with food and company) can't be happy roughed off in a field. But it sounds as though your vet is thinking that the horse could still be worked at some point in future? What have they said about treatment options of the cyst? Are they any? If you can't afford them can/would the owner? What management (out/in/worked/retired/etc) is best for the horse under different options?

It sounds to me as though you need more info before you can make a good decision. And whatever decision you make can obviously be reviewed as you go along.

Doormouse

Visit site
a) Speak to another vet (assuming this is beyond realms of equine dentistry)
b) Speak to horse's owner

17 is by no means old and really very, very few horses (with food and company) can't be happy roughed off in a field. But it sounds as though your vet is thinking that the horse could still be worked at some point in future? What have they said about treatment options of the cyst? Are they any? If you can't afford them can/would the owner? What management (out/in/worked/retired/etc) is best for the horse under different options?

It sounds to me as though you need more info before you can make a good decision. And whatever decision you make can obviously be reviewed as you go along.

Treatment for cyst would be GA and drill into nasal passage, wouldn't cure it but would give him more air through it.

Essentially, he has at most a year before the infection eats through his bone.

Please just believe me when I say he would utterly heartbroken to be turned out as a field ornament, some horse really do not enjoy that.

pansymouse

Visit site
I had an old horse with a similar condition, it responded to antibiotics but as soon as the course finished it came back so in the end he had his skull drilled and a drain inserted through which I flushed water and iodine twice a day - that cleared up it up completely. I had the procedure done standing at home; at 27 he was too old to risk travel and a general (he was a very bad traveller).

SEL

Visit site
Treatment for cyst would be GA and drill into nasal passage, wouldn't cure it but would give him more air through it.

Essentially, he has at most a year before the infection eats through his bone.

Please just believe me when I say he would utterly heartbroken to be turned out as a field ornament, some horse really do not enjoy that.

I've just read this bit - and I think you know what you need to do. If he won't be happy pottering in the field and it sounds like the infection will get him at somepoint soon then don't drag it on - for both your sakes

Dreadfully sad. I really feel for you xx

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry doormouse but sounds like you did he right thing for him. it will get easier for you in time but i know how hard it is...HUGS....

Nettle123

Visit site
You have done the right thing. We had a chap with the same problem and we struggled on and on. Looking back I wish we had taken the pts route for his sake and ours. Sending you a hug.

Doormouse

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I know it was the right thing to do, he was just beginning to deteriorate but still looked well and happy thank goodness.

He was a true gent who was charming and kind, he will be very sorely missed.