Horse with navicular...

Apalacia01

Visit site
Can anyone tell me anything about it? I tried to figure it out through websites (wiki!) but need an idiot's guide.

Anyway, is it a progressive problem, or can it be 'treated' with remedial shoeing? (I know it can't be totally stopped).

May have been offered a free beast, but probably a very stupid idea...

emilyw

Visit site
Dont do it!!!

My horse has spavin and Navicular. Having no end of problems. He is having very expensive treatment next week for the Navicular but it will never cure it, just delay it getting worse quickly I belive. Luckily the insurance are paying.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Mmmm....that is what I though! So after getting it, how long do they have, I mean, do they chronically lame, or is it treatable?

I won't do it by the way, I already have one cripple... but he is cute, and free...and no....

louisevictoria

Visit site
mine was diagnosed with chronic navicular back in September. She has to have remedial shoeing in her front feet in order to allevaite to condition, that are extremely expensive.
If there are any ?'s you have Imay be be able to assist as my vet went through my mares condition very throughly after she was x-rayed.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Blondegirl - Thanks. I am going to find out the true facts from owner. But probably not even going to go into it, as really not interested in getting something else that isn't right to start off with!

louisevictoria

Visit site
It may be worth looking into but it depends how bad the condition is but it sounds like it could be more hassle than its worth.
crazy.gif
My mare is just a field ornament now and it is highly unlikely she will ever be rideable again but you never know (I try to be optimistic )
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

fornema

Visit site
Dont do it as it gets progressivley worse and you will proably end up with heartbreak like i did. Also remedial shoeing aleviates a little pain but not all as it is the disintegration of the navicular bone, and i think it basically makes the foot collapse in the end but not totally sure on the last bit but tis not a good idea