Horse with no stamina...... :(

MagicMelon

Visit site
I thought my boy lacked stamina due to simply being young. But he's now 6 and still hasn't improved! He's a Welsh D but not overweight or anything (although he has filled out a hell of a lot and still is!). Obviously he's heavier than the usual and I cannot expect him to go for as long as my TB.

However he really lacks stamina so badly. I school him as much as my TB (who events) so its not like he's really unfit. He's always hot and then gets grumpy which doesn't help. I tried cantering him up a stubble field yesterday and he barely made it! And he simply doesn't gallop, I thought it was just because he'd never been taught to so took him out with a friend where he was nuts and galloped everywhere but he simply won't at any other time. He's active in his walk and trot. It just seems to be his canter which he finds such hard work. Yet some days he's loopy as hell and just bronc's everywhere so I dont think its a laziness issue!

Im worrying because I wanted to do unaffiliated (I dont think he's going to cut it at BE) ODE's with him but right now I think he'll pass out round the XC.....!!

Im thinking maybe its his diet. I've tried the usual quick and slow release energy type feeds. He's now on a slow release cube with high oil chaff/alfalfa (and usual vit & min supplement, electrolytes). I read somewhere horses with a lack of iron can lack stamina. Should I try an iron type supplement? Like Red Cell etc.? Is it worth a try or do you not think it would help at all?!

L

lilym

TBH i would get the vet to run some bloods to be on the safe side, how long has he been broken??

KatB

Visit site
Worth trying Propell or something similar to perk him up. Always find it does wonders as a boost, and does no harm to keep them on it! Also, my friend has a welshy whose similar, her instructor said welshies find it difficult to gallop as theyre only designed originally to trot, so there make up isnt there to go at speed??
confused.gif

buckybee

Visit site
I used to have a welsh D and he was full of energy so i don't think his breading is an excuse.

We've got ID x and he pretends he can't even manage to canter up a field out hacking - but we've won an open team chase (he actually passed the TB in front at the end) and is allways in the top few times PN, so i think he's lying when he says he is tired out hacking!

Maybe its the same with your boy? give him something fun to think about and he might cheer up?

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He was broken as a 3yo. Propell? what does it do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can second Propell Plus ! It's from Equine America, and is an iron supplement amongst other things. Really gave Bo a boost after he had had his virus, and as has been said, you can keep them on it full time if you want
smile.gif

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I have an ISH whose very similar, up the gallops i'll be lucky to get a half decent canter, infact any hacking hes the same. However get him on a XC course or SJ course and all of a sudden hes full of beans. Before i started competing him i didnt think he'd have the stamina to event, but at our first event i was proved wrong. Maybe same with your boy? not sure? especially if hes good in company, think it might be a mental thing. (my boy wont even gallop in company, only when hes eventing)

KatB

Visit site
Propell plus is an iron and vit and min supplement, also had echinacea in it to help immune system. Is brilliant stuff, and really perks them up. Its about £25 for 4 mnths maintenance supply.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Definitely get some bloods done but assuming everything is ok, I'd be inclined to hunt him for a season. Totally changed my Welshy's attitude. I only go out a few times each season and not to anything where I know the jumps will be enormous, just enough to get him going. He suddenly learnt to gallop and realised what he was meant to do!

L

lilym

welshies difficult to gallop????????????????? my friends sec c has won many a showing or WHP class with his wonderful gallop!!!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I recommend propell too, we kept a mare who had cancer on it after we discovered it part way through her pregnancy and it's super stuff.
It has all the necessary vitamins and minerals .
You could try Kossolian for a cheaper tonic , also known as blood salts (not sure why) but that has had good results too.
I think perhaps a blood test would be a good idea but he could just be a quiet type! Over the years we have owned five or six WC and they vary completely, one I bought for my riding school I sold as she was dead slow and stop, yet our 24 year old here would give a TB a run for it's money in a race!
I would clip him quite soon (out), feed him on some competition mix watching his weight at the same time as he is native, and just do lots of canter work, use spurs if necessary to get him going..As he gets fitter he should sharpen up..