Horse with Shivers/ Very Stressed Horse!

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
I have a really lovely ISH who has a mild shiver. He's always been a sensitive soul but over the past 2/3 months his reactions are getting so extreme. He is terribly sensitive to noise, people, anything that he isn't sure of - he totally over reacts! A friend snapped a carrot the other day and you would have thought a bomb had gone off! This can be in the stable, field and out riding and it seems to be getting worse. He can be absolutely fine if nothing triggers is but once he goes the adrenaline kicks in and he looses it. The shiver itself physically doesn't seem to be any worse but I wonder if the behaviour is related or something else is going on? He is in regular work 5-6 days a week, gets daily turnout and is a good weight etc. He is such a friendly lovely boy and no nasty bone in his body so these are genuine reactions but i'm at a loss as to what to do next...anyone had anything similar or any thought. I'm open to all suggestions and comments.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a WelshxTB who had similar reactions to noise, I remember the day a child ran down the yard, shaking a tube of Smarties, you would have thought the roof had fallen in on top of her!

It took a long time to work out what was causing her problems (there were other behavioural things but all stress/over stimulation related). She also had a persistent cough. Eventually we realised that she was completely intolerant of cereals and refined sugar. She was genuinely like a different horse without them

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Agree with PaS on cereals/sugar/alfalfa. I have one who is completely wired if he gets any form of grain or any amount of alfalfa.

This kind of behaviour is also typical of horses which need a lot of vitamin E. In theory you have him on plenty because of the shivers, but maybe not enough? I'd be going for 10,000iu a day.

Last edited:

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
Thanks for your comments re the Shivers. I agree re feed, in fact he isn’t on any hard feed at the mo as I am struggling to find anything he will tolerate. Interesting regarding the vit e levels - do you have any idea of the best supplement to be getting this volume into him?

SEL

Visit site
Thanks for your comments re the Shivers. I agree re feed, in fact he isn’t on any hard feed at the mo as I am struggling to find anything he will tolerate. Interesting regarding the vit e levels - do you have any idea of the best supplement to be getting this volume into him?

It needs to be a straight vitamin E supplement not one with selenium. Natural vitamin E is better absorbed and seems to be mainly sold online. I used the powdered oil from Forage Plus.

There is a U.S. vet called Dr Brenda Bishop who did research into pathogens (Lyme, bartonella etc) & their impact on the horse. Shivers was one of the consequences of infection, so if your horse has ever been in an area with ticks it is worth googling her. The webpage is not easy to follow!!!

JillA

Visit site
Try her on magnesium - Mg deficiency presents as excessive spooking because Mg blocks the action of adrenaline. Cheap as chips (MagOx on ebay) and will make a difference in a couple of weeks if deficiency is the problem. Always worth trying for elimination purposes if nothing else

ycbm

Visit site

Yes the cheapest by a long way is Equimins oil. Some people find it messy and difficult but for a horse on that much, the price difference should be worth it.

I would start with 10ml, which is 10,000 iu, and see if you can reduce it to find the level he actually needs.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
The most cost effective vit e i found was Progressive Earth. 10,000 iu as a minimum for a horse with Shivers (my old boy had it). As above, the normal equestrian vitamin e supps have selenium added which can be toxic if overdosed and would be if feeding the required amount of vit e from these brands.

Leo Walker

Visit site
The most cost effective vit e i found was Progressive Earth. 10,000 iu as a minimum for a horse with Shivers (my old boy had it). As above, the normal equestrian vitamin e supps have selenium added which can be toxic if overdosed and would be if feeding the required amount of vit e from these brands.

Yup the progressive earth is the cheapest when worked out on a daily dosage basis :)

ycbm

Visit site
Yup the progressive earth is the cheapest when worked out on a daily dosage basis :)

This is at least the fourth time on at least three different threads that you've mislead people about this. Several of us have corrected you.You've been given the figures and yet you keep repeating it. Please stop confusing people.

These are TODAYS figures using the cheapest per unit pack size. Smaller packs cost more per unit. Equimins has no postage costs, Progressive Earth postage is additional.

Equimins oil £100 per bottle 1000iu per gram c900g in a bottle, 11.1p per 1000iu

Progressive Earth natural vitamin E 2kg £125 1105iu per 3.25g. 680 1000iu units in a pack. 18.3 p per 1000iu

Synthetic powder is available for about half the price but you have to feed twice as much to get the same bio available level, so it works out the same price and is pointless.

Forageplus powder vitamin E is more expensive per pack but works out cheaper at 15p per 1000iu because it has 1000iu of vitamin E every 2g.

Equimins oil is by a long way the cheapest way to feed Vitamin E on a daily basis

PS can someone weigh their empty bottle and the full one when they next get a new bottle? I've only just realised that Equimins is by weight of oil and of course oil weighs less than water so it's not 1g per ml. I've done the above calculation on the weight of olive oil, which I'm sure is less dense than the vitamin E oil, so 11.1p is the maximum it could possibly be and it's probably actually less.

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
It needs to be a straight vitamin E supplement not one with selenium. Natural vitamin E is better absorbed and seems to be mainly sold online. I used the powdered oil from Forage Plus.

There is a U.S. vet called Dr Brenda Bishop who did research into pathogens (Lyme, bartonella etc) & their impact on the horse. Shivers was one of the consequences of infection, so if your horse has ever been in an area with ticks it is worth googling her. The webpage is not easy to follow!!!

Thank you I was actually looking at the one from Forage Plus this morning

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
Yes the cheapest by a long way is Equimins oil. Some people find it messy and difficult but for a horse on that much, the price difference should be worth it.

I would start with 10ml, which is 10,000 iu, and see if you can reduce it to find the level he actually needs.

Thank you for the guidance re amounts, i'm going to look into this properly today!

SEL

Visit site

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk

vhf

Visit site
I have one who's highly reactive to sudden or loud noises and certain sudden movements, but in her case it is related to a traumatic injury. Once the adrenaline's flowing it takes less and less to affect her. I haven't found anything that helps apart from time and patience and she was previously unflappable, so it's probably not a medical/feed thing for her.
My rambling point being, could something have happened to him, to make his go-to behaviour suddenly worse? Or could it be eyes, or ears, or even pain related? The shiver could almost be a red herring in that case.

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
I have one who's highly reactive to sudden or loud noises and certain sudden movements, but in her case it is related to a traumatic injury. Once the adrenaline's flowing it takes less and less to affect her. I haven't found anything that helps apart from time and patience and she was previously unflappable, so it's probably not a medical/feed thing for her.
My rambling point being, could something have happened to him, to make his go-to behaviour suddenly worse? Or could it be eyes, or ears, or even pain related? The shiver could almost be a red herring in that case.

It could be something that’s upset him as he is very sensitive. We had to move to a big livery yard last year and there is a lot going on so perhaps he just isn’t feeling settled or something has happened that I don’t know about. He was fine at the yard and seemed to like it but the last 2-3 months have got progressively worse. Trying to find a smaller yard again but proving a challenge! I’ve had absolutely everything checked so don’t think it’s a pain issue. Thanks so much for your ideas.

Reactions: vhf

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk

Sorry to bother you again but...say if I try to reduce it...how will I know exactly how much he needs unless I keep getting bloods retested? Will it have a negative affect if I give him too much? Thanks!

ycbm

Visit site
I would judge it by his behaviour. I worked out that mine needed a lot more in winter because of the way their muscles felt and how much energy they seemed to have.

I think it's difficult to overdose, though they do store it in the liver, I read.

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
Hi all,

So i've purchased the vit e supplement as discussed but I cant for love nor money get the great big beast to eat it!! I've tried three different chaffs, fast fibre, mint, garlic etc and he wont touch it. He cant have anything sugary to disguise it as he is extremely sugar intolerant. Any ideas what I can add to convince him to eat it!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Hi all,

So i've purchased the vit e supplement as discussed but I cant for love nor money get the great big beast to eat it!! I've tried three different chaffs, fast fibre, mint, garlic etc and he wont touch it. He cant have anything sugary to disguise it as he is extremely sugar intolerant. Any ideas what I can add to convince him to eat it!

Ours eat it in dampened Agrobs haycobs and they wolf it down, we assume that means that they are in need of it!

JillA

Visit site
Bran. Was recommended to me by Sarah Braithwaite at Forageplus and she was right - my two only started to eat their mineral supplement once I added it to a little damp bran. Yes it is starch but they only need a handful

ycbm

Visit site
Spillers Speedy Mash is very low calorie and very effective because it swells so much and you can hide it in half a bucket full of food that's only got the calories in it of a fisful of other stuff.