Horse won’t lie down in stable

Rachael42

Visit site
Hi,
I’ve just been told by someone on the farm that my cob fell to the ground in his stable when he was in a deep sleep. He got up as quick as he went down and then started to eat like nothing happened. I’ve never seen him do this before. He refuses to lie down in the stable and has only ever lay down a few times, he rolls in the field on a daily basis though! P.s I am in contact with the vet I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before. Thanks in advance :)

Visit site
It could be something as simple as him not feeling secure enough to lie down in his stable (it took my mare over a year to feel safe enough to lie down in her stable) but definitely have a look at the link BP has posted.

P.forpony

Visit site
Mines funny about lying down bedding has to be ridiculously deep (or have her full body snuggy hood on... ?‍♀️) to lie down on straw or shavings but much happier on a pellet bed.
Might be worth having a try of some different beddings.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine had to go back onto straw as she wasn't lying down over night otherwise. I'm assuming she slept in the field though as she never showed signs of sleep deprivation.

Chianti

Visit site
I read some research that showed that the deeper the bed was the more time horses spent lying down. They tried various options and horses preferred a very deep shavings bed.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I read some research that showed that the deeper the bed was the more time horses spent lying down. They tried various options and horses preferred a very deep shavings bed.
Yes I've heard this too. Makes sense. I notice my horse tends to lie down more with a nice deep bed.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

The only research o know of showed they liked straw best. I have one who will only lie down indoors in straw or hay/lage.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Fussy lot, aren't they?

I nearly ran screaming out of the house a couple of months ago when I saw my horse lying down in the field, which he had never done before in daytime, although he does lie down in the stable on a sufficiently deep enough bed.

I took a grip of myself and said to just wait for a bit and see if he was still lying down 30 minutes later, but he was back eating by then.