Horse won’t settle on yard

Abby&Apollo

Visit site
So before I bought my horse I had him on lwvtb for about a month and a half. He came straight from racing and I’ve had him since. Before you could NOT tell he was an ex-racer, anyone could ride him, he was amazing so laid back. We moved yards about 6 months ago and he’s just not settled. Whenever I bring him up to the stable and tie him up he does about 5 nervous poo’s, paws, spins, whinnies and he’s just as bad in the stable. Riding him now he’s starting to get dangerous, I’ve fallen off the past 2 rides because in the school out of no where he rears, spins and bolts off. The slightest thing sets him off and it just feels like he’s always on edge/nervous.
I can’t have any instructor other than my YO but I don’t really like her way of teaching and she’s more for beginners so not much help. But I’ve now stopped riding as my confidence has gone (he had just brought it back from my old horse..)

I’ve had everything checked, put him on a very low sugar feed but he’s still the same. I know this isn’t ‘just him’ because I had him on lwvtb and at our old yard when I first got him he was fine. To the point where we wore spurs riding (wouldn’t dream of it now he’d be off!) just like a ticking time bomb.
Do you think it could just be the yard? He hates being alone and it’s a very quite yard there’s barely anyone there if anyone when we are there. Before it was a busy yard with lots of horses around.
We could move back to our old yard but then we won’t have a sand school and this is something I do really want as he’s a competition horse and we need somewhere to train. Or we could try and find another yard and risk it again.
Thanks!

WHWMo

Visit site
I’ve had the same horse on 3 different yards and she’s been different on each- first one she never settled, they really limited turnout and that’s why we moved. The second was perfect and I only left because I moved house. The third that I’m on now has taken her 4/5 months to properly settle and in the meantime she’s really shaken my confidence sometimes. It’s back to about 90% since she’s calmed down but yards make a MASSIVE difference.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I think even in your tone as you write your post, you seem unsettled too..... sometimes, in life things just don't work out and I think your horse, and you are ready to find something else.

A horse came to "our" yard once, a yard we all thought was the most chilled place on earth. Nope, this ex-racer (i might add!) did not settle at all. Some horses just don't like the chilled out vibe, some like it buzzing with stuff going on and I've worked on busy hunt yards where horses all seem at home... they go off to new homes and some come back as "nutters"... very strange phenomena, but maybe not that strange after all.

I don't know what your yard is like, but there must be something. Don't waste your time. You've picked up on something genuine, go with it.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have never kept horses at a yard but you have my sympathies OP.
My friend bought a ‘perfect horse’. She brought it home where there was her other horse. The quiet calm horse she bought changed completely. After suffering a few falls and many frights she sent the horse to a large stable to be sold. The horse walked into the stable, rolled and then attacked the haynet. It was sold on quickly and has never behaved erratically since. We can only assume it did not like the quietness of home stables.

Abby&Apollo

Visit site
Did he come straight from the racing yard??
He went from racing to a small dealers yard I work at, however there were always horses around at this yard he was never alone and was good as gold. I then took him from there to a yard near my house, again this was a busy yard as it was a trekking centre so always horses and people around when he was out the field. Now this new yard is big however very quite, barely anyone around when we are and his stable is right in the top by the stables that are owned by people that are never there when I am. So again quieter and I think it’s that he doesn’t like.

paddi22

Visit site
i'd an ex racer that was the same, he absolutely hated quiet yards, i had to move to a busy one or else have him out 24/7

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Coming from a racing background he'd be used to being in a highly organised yard with lots of activity around him - that's obviously what he's used to and what he's needing.

As others have said, you may have to move yards in order to get his head sorted again. A pity, you tried somewhere new, but it didn't work out.

He obviously is a horse who knows what he wants! - and an honest horse in the sense that he's obviously "telling" you that he's not happy right now.

Abby&Apollo

Visit site
So can you move back to the yard by the house?
It’s looking like we will have to yes. Ideally we didn’t want to as we obviously left for a reason and they also have no school/electric which is something we really need. Either that or we will have to look at some other yards around here.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as your confidence is dented the school isnt any use so better to go back and both of you get confident again and maybe travel to a school or could you ride in one of the fields? you can also school while out hacking ,not all people have the benefit of a school and manage to compete ok...

Louby

Visit site
Having just moved my young horse from a small yard to a big working farm yard the difference in my horse is amazing! She is just so chilled. The small yard was quiet but there were a few field changes which seemed to mess with her head. Its wierd as the big yard has probably 4 times as many horses but is so quiet and all the horses seem calm and happy.

Melody Grey

Visit site
At risk of sounding like an ongoing record (have suggested this lots before)... is it worth trying a tummy supplement like Protexin for a month? The upset of the move, new environment and spring grass now coming through could have thrown everything off balance. I'd be tempted to try it before moving?

sportsmansB

Visit site
If he was a racer hes most likely been on a big busy yard basically since he was started. Routine, company, hard work, is all he will have known.
I would be looking locally at other yards more like the first one you were at but with slightly better facilities - you'll probably have to pay a bit more - or else just move him back there for the summer at least when you don't really need a school or electric - and keep an eye out for somewhere else in the mean time.