Horse won't drink at shows...

MissSBird

Visit site
Probably done to death, but I can't get my boy to drink away from home and it's beginning to worry me.

Today was a scorching day, and we did our best to keep him cool by sponging off regularly and keeping him in the shade where possible. But he still did quite a lot of work, yet refused to drink water. It was water we'd brought with us from home as well, so the stuff he's used to.

Anyone got any tips on trying to encourage him to drink? He went from 7.30am to 4pm today without taking a drink - though maybe he was getting moisture from his haylege?

Thanks guys. Feel a bit at my wits end...

Lolo

Visit site
The horse quencher stuff is good... Or, as a cheap fix for Reg who can be a bit odd, we mix the water with apple squash so it's something he really likes. Or make really sloppy speedibeet up, which he merrily slurps through?

nikkimariet

Visit site
When you give him a wash down, shove a wet sponge into the corner of his mouth and squeeze the water out into his mouth. If it doesn't make them realize they are in fact thirsty, it will at least wet their mouth and tongue.

Another alternative is grated carrot slop (grated carrots + water). They will take in a fair bit of water trying to eat the carrot :)

MissSBird

Visit site
Don't tend to keep suger beet type things as B is a rather good doer and it's the last thing he needs!

Apple squash would be worth a shot. He does tend to live by his stomach.

Will try the water from the container to make sure it's not the container causing the problem. Never thought of that!

Lolo

Visit site
Some horses are (understandably) funny about stale water as well- water picks up a really odd taste if it gets warm and is in a plastic container. Things like apple squash really do help mask that weird taste (personal experience there!).

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
T is like that.
He refuses to drink away from home, We do the sloppy food substances to. I know we shouldn't but we we let him drink from our bottles if he fancies it.

When we get home we put electrolytes or epsom salts in his water and turn him out straight away to chill.

monkeymad

Visit site
mine has a soaked hay net to travel and I take another soaked net (carry it in a dustbin) for the journey home.

starryeyed

Visit site
We use soaked haynets because ours don't like to drink away from home, but will always eat! Horse Quenchers are great if you really need a horse to drink when it won't (in extremely hot weather like today for example!)

Supanova

Visit site
Another one for horse quencher! Neither of my mares will drink at shows and i have used horse quencher this weekend to really good affect! It is worth following their instructions properly though - like getting them used to it at home first and trying different flavours to see which they like best.

Maisie2

Visit site
If you have a Polo loving horse (mint not game :) ) you could try Peppermint cordial. We used to have a horse which hated bute so I used this to hide the taste.

MissSBird

Visit site
He's not so keen on Polo's. Pulls funny faces at the taste of them!

Think I'll try the carrot trick, and if that doesn't work try the horse quencher as it's basically the same principal, and carrots are cheaper!

Thanks for the ideas folks :)

ElaineLightning

Visit site
Ditto the others my carrot loving horse we just put a full carrot in shallow water so he gets it then drinks. Alternatively we do the sponge soaked with water in the mouth to make them realise they are thirsty x