horsebox electrics experts - 20v?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I saw my lovely new little horsebox for the first time today for a check-and-snagging session before its 100% finished. One of the things on my wish list was 'ability to briefly blast a hairdryer once during a weekend away'.

I seem to have ended up with a cigarette lighter style 20v socket in the living, but google is no help in explaining how to connect that safely to a hair dryer and I don't know whether I need a special low voltage dryer or one with a cigarette lighter plug style end to it or a special adaptor... Help!

FYI, the battery powering the small living is entirely independent from the vehicle battery and only has to power the living lights and mini fridge plus hair duties.

With grovelling thanks from someone who only got double-award gcse science and can just about change a plug in an emergency x

Mike007

Visit site
I think you mean 12 volt not 20. There are 12 volt hairdryers but to be honest ,they simply havnt got "Blast". They require a new ,fused cable from the battery to a socket that can handle 15 to 20 amps comfortably. The cars existing cigarette lighter socket wont handle the power.Find a good auto electrician ,he will know what you want. I suspect however that you will be disappointed by the hair dryers performance.

popsdosh

Visit site
To Run a decent hair dryer they should have fitted a 3000 watt power inverter for you one can be fitted but will cost about £500 with fitting. you would then be able to use your normal one . If you are relying on a 12V hairdryer you may as well drive around a bit with the window open!

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
It definitely said 20v not 12...and there's a limit to the number of times you can mention the word 'hairdryer' without loosing all credibility with your horsebox builder :)

popsdosh

Visit site
It definitely said 20v not 12...and there's a limit to the number of times you can mention the word 'hairdryer' without loosing all credibility with your horsebox builder :)

It could only be 12V or 24V if its got one leisure battery it will be 12V ! I would follow it up tomorrow as it is not what you wanted so get it sorted before they deliver it and you pay them.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Thanks everyone, since we all drew a blank on 20v I spoke to my contact at the horsebox builders today and pointed out it had us all stumped so he's going to quiz their electrician for me :)