Horsebox Essentials...

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Now that I've nearly finished renovating the living area of my horsebox I need to stock it full of essentials. So what do you all keep in yours? Particularly when staying away overnight.

Michen

Visit site
I always carry a tube of dope but had a previously terrible traveller. Just incase of a long wait for recovery and horse kicking off.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Some spare change (£10) stashed in a draw just in case I misplace wallet or some other disaster. Nothing worse than not being able to partake of the crepe van.
ETA plus spare of any daily medication you may need such as inhalor

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Teabags, sugar and chocolate for me, hay and water for him. More importantly (I suppose) first aid stuff, spare headcollar, girth, leathers etc, spare rug and boots for him, spare clothes for me. Honestly, I could almost move into mine, Im paranoid about forgetting something so keep it all in there :)

turnbuckle

Visit site
Horse or human or wagon essentials?

Dope tube sounds a really good idea, warning triangle too, pref with flashing LEDs.

Human? A small BBQ for me! But pot noodles etc also good for emergency morale boost (if foul normally). And sultanas, nice big juicy fat ones. A cool box too, vital for chocolate on warm days. And for keeping sausages and other good stuff warm on cold ones!

Otherwise

Visit site
Stuff for emergencies like a knife, lunge line, spare headcollar, sedaline, first aid for human and horses. Spare tack is always useful, I leave a cheap girth and bridle in the lorry in case I forget or something breaks alongside spare whips and numbers. I've considered buying shoe pullers just in case. For the living bottles of water and a blanket as a bare minimum.

npage123

Visit site
Grab horse's passport on the day and put in glovebox compartment.
Paperwork for horsebox organised and present (details of breakdown company stored as contact on your mobile and proof of your membership with them, proof of plating, insurance, etc)
Take lots more hay and water than you think you'll need (in case of traffic delays or breakdown)
Variety of rugs for horse depending on the time of year and weather forecast
The usual stuff like fill the tank full off fuel before the day you travel, test all the lights are working unless you use your lorry very regularly and knows it's in tip top shape.
Good quality flashlight, toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, old towels and a second grooming kit that can 'live' in the lorry.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Fire extinguisher in the living, if you have any form of flame for cooking, on top of all the spare people and horse stuff (including extra jumpers in case it is cold) Hi-Viz jackets for people and Hi-Viz sheets for horses, just in case you end up having to get off the lorry where you don't intend to when you set off! WE also have a copy of the regs for private LGV, just in case.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
WD40 for if it should move and doesn't. Gaffer tape and bungee ropes for if it does move and shouldn't.
(I read this on the forum in 2009ish when I was getting my first lorry and never forgot it!)

BethanT

Visit site
I have;

Full grooming kit
Fly spray
Shampoo
Bucket for cleaning
Bucket for water
Sponge
Tack cleaner
Wet wipes
Competition box with all my bridle numbers, bib numbers, medical arm band, spurs, boots etc. Stuff I only use for competing.
Spare box to put my clothes when I change
Spare change of clothes (came in handy after a very wet day XC schooling)
Horse first aid kit complete with bute, sedative and teremycin spray (vet prescribed anti bac spray)
Spare whips, long and short
Spare rain sheet for the horse
Spare Travel boots (I usually use bandages)
Spare Travel rug
Big torch

I basically have a second lot of EVERYTHING that just lives on the lorry so that I pretty much just need to load up my tack, water, hay, horse and myself. My XC hat, body protector and general show gear also lives on there rather than at home or the tack room.