Horsebox - floor covering

AFB

Visit site
Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice - I've just purchased my first 3.5t box and it's had a new double layer ply floor installed but not yet covered so looking at options.

I've found an old post on here that suggests painting with non-slip yacht paint, which I like the sound of as it seems a lot easier than matting, however would like views from those who may have tried this if possible? (Too good to be true?)

If I was to go for matting, what are the most cost effective and easiest to install options out there? I'm pretty handy with DIY but don't really have anyone to help, other than a willing but useless at DIY OH who could help me lug stuff around. Wondering if tiles may be easier to manage than sheets.

Also what sort of thickness would you be going for for longevity? I'm assuming the 17mm stable rubber would be overkill as it's not going to get that much wear, I've seen 5mm which I imagine would be too flimsy, so was thinking of looking at the 10mm.

Sorry if that's a little garbled, any help greatly appreciated!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have the horsebox EVA equimats in mine, they are lightweight (always handy in a 3.5t) and come in 1x1m squares which interlock neatly.
I needed 5 mats for mine which was not too expensive. they stay in place without being glued down but make a decent seal, I can lift them to inspect the floor easily though.
they are slightly thinner than standard equimats, but also slightly squishier which means the horses have really good stability on them. i think they travel better on those than the rubber granule floor that was down before and would definitely have them again.

https://www.equimat.co.uk/horsebox-mats

the trailer mats are the ones I have.

lauracwd2

Visit site
I have EVA mats too which I bought when I replaced my floor. I just have two pieces which I cut to shape (really easy to cut) and they are lightweight to life out and clean.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Have you any idea what sort of ply has been fitted? A lot of ply, including exterior and marine, does not have enough layers or the right sort of glue, and separates very quickly. When I built my first horsebox, I found an expert dealer in ply who showed me the good, and not so good. Best test was to leave a sample in the waterbutt for a week. That ply has now been in two different horseboxes, and is still in excellent condition.

AFB

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, am I right in thinking that the EVA matting is the slightly squishier stuff than the standard tough rubber stable mats? If so, is it much easier to cut/install?

I need to nip up and measure tonight as I forgot to do it at the weekend, then I can get an idea of cost. Thanks for the link Milliepops.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't go for 17mm mats, they are far too heavy & would vastly reduce your weight, probably go for 10mm mats that would be considerably lighter & yet would be be strong enoungh not to rip with any twisting & turning.

AFB

Visit site
Thanks - I really was hoping not to as I remember how much hard work doing anything with them in a stable was. I'm not too worried about payload as will only ever be carrying one, but don't want to carry stuff unnecessarily.