Horsebox inspection - request pls for recommendations for mechanic in Cheshire

DorothyJ

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am after recommendations please for a mechanic/company to do a horsebox inspection for me in Cheshire. I am going to view an older 7.5T horsebox soon (F reg Mercedes 814D) and if I like it, I will want to have it inspected before purchase, as I would with any horsebox. I'm not local and the horsebox is near Northwich in Cheshire.

Can anyone help with a recommendation please and any idea what a pre-purchase inspection is likely to cost? I presume you all agree I should have one done even though the box has apparently just flown through plating!

Many thanks :)

Spottyappy

Visit site
Yes,definitely get it inspected.and,by a mechanic who is horse wise and will check the horse area.
I highly recommend Brad from here:
http://bshhorseboxes.co.uk/contact.html
He will travel, though obviously to Cheshire will cost more. My last inspection was about an hour from him, and cost £160 if my memory serves me right.
He saved me a fortune previously in checking boxes I thought ok, but they turned out to be no good, or not that safe.
Good luck.

DorothyJ

Visit site
Many thanks spottyappy :)

Can I ask what you have done (and what other people do) please about agreeing a price subject to inspection and potentially paying a deposit (refundable?) so horsebox is held for you for a reasonable period of time (say a week?) whilst the inspection is arranged and undertaken.

If anything major comes up on the inspection but you still want the box, presumably you renegotiate.

Thank you!

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
Chris Ratter is ace, he runs the Horsebox Hospital. I would check before you go that the owner is happy for an inspection by a mechanic - if not, walk away. When I was looking, one looked promising but they would not allow an inspection so we didn't even bother going.

DorothyJ

Visit site
Thanks Fjordhorsefan, that's an excellent recommendation. They are very local so sound ideal. I am going to call them tomorrow. Thank you! :D

Spottyappy

Visit site
Just basically barter for the price! Depending how much you want it, and depending how much vendor will drop.
Deposits- if buying from a dealer, use a credit card as it gives invaluable protection should you find a serious problem for any reason. Even if you pay the balance in cash, the credit card company has to sort the problem under the consumer credit act.
If buying froma private seller, I have left, and taken, a personal cheque, agreeing to not cash it in, to hold the box.
Upon the inspection being ok, when I actually collect, or sell, the vehicle, I take or give the cheque back. Then, either have whole sum in cash, or go to my bank with them, to transfer the money by bank transfer to my account. The reason I would rather go to the bank is because the bank have to make checks to ensure my money is ok, but they also have video cameras so should anything turn out dodgy, you will have some photographic evidence.
Internet transfer is ok, but you have no protection if something turns out not quite right.
Also, do a HPI check to ensure vehicle isn't stolen etc.
Yes,if anything major comes up on inspection and you still want box, either get vendor to fix it prior to collection, or see if they will reduce price. I prefer them to fix it, personally, and supply reciepts to prove they have done so.
Hope this helps.
Happy box hunting!