Horsebox - internal height advice

vicm2509

Visit site
Can someone please advise me as to how high the inside of a horsebox should be for a 16.2 horse. I tried my horse in a box yesterday (3.5t) and although it measured higher than the inside of a trailer it still seems quite low, perhaps just me being paranoid as usual but any advice would be appreciated.

juliehannah58

Visit site
The normal internal height for a Renault Master is 7' or 6'10", this would take no more than 16hh really. I have a high top Renault Master and it has 7'10" of head room, which is nearly as much as Oakley horse boxes!

We used to have a VWLT35 and that was 7' also.

Rambo

Visit site
We have 8' in our 7.5t....but that is exceptional
tongue.gif
7'3" or so should be adequate
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
The box is a little over 7ft (say about 7ft2), this should be ok then? I was just looking at him thinking OMG if he had a fit and flung his head up would it go through the roof. He is very good in a box though and ive never had any problems with him, and he will obviously be in there on his own due to the size of the box.

Rambo

Visit site
If he's a good traveller then I would say you would be fine. Our old lorry only had about 7', maybe a bit less, and my 16.3hh WB travelled in it okay
smile.gif

As a guide...the Ifor Williams HB505 (suitable for horses upto 16.2hh) has headroom of about 7'1"
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Bateson Deauville & Ascot Trailers have an internal height of 7'03" & say it is suitable for up to 17h horses. I have a 16h2" and I wouldn't want him to travel in anything lower than 7'00". I always travel mine with a poll guard on anyway, just incase.

When you measured it it will appear lower than a trailer due to the box being wider & it gives the illusion of being lower. Anything over 7' should be fine...8' fantastic.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I looked at 3.5 tonne for my girlie and decided not to buy it as it was no way high enough (she's 16.1 hh). I would like a 6 tonner but they're quite rare it would appear ! My 7.5 tonner is proving a bit to big for me, so it might be up for sale soon !