Horsebox lgv Plating-Taking Lorry Myself for the first time---eeekk, help!

Coop

Visit site
Hi, i'm taking my lorry for its plating and it will be the first time I have taken it as my lorry man is on hols.

I have heard scary stories about having to drive it on the rolling road for the brakes and moody testers etc. How many other girls take theirs? He has just got it ready so hopefully it will go thru.

Its only a little 6.5 tonne and it doesn't bother me in the slightest driving it anywhere.....but do I need to be prepared???!! Going to Lancing, last time I was there for my hgv test and I swore I would never return.......!

Thanks xx

be positive

Visit site
I always take mine, the tester talks you through, especially if you are a female and play a bit helpless:rolleyes: the rolling road is fine they will guide you onto it and all instructions are clearly given, just make sure you have the lorry clean and it should be fine.

dieseldog

Visit site
Take some Hi Viz to wear with you. I have always found the testers really really nice. Driving over the pit is a bit scary,and it can be quite hard to hear the instructions when they are under the lorry (there are loudspeakers though). Rolling road is fine, it does shunt the lorry around a bit.

you'll be glad you did it yourself though.

monkeymad

Visit site
I always take mine down alone. The guys have always been really helpful and even changed bulbs for me during the test! This time my headlamps were out of alignment and despite two of the testers trying to correct them they couldn't, they just said 'I'm sure you won't drive it in the dark until you get them sorted will you love' and issued me with my certficate! It can be a little difficult to hear the instructions over the tanoy and I get a bit mixed up over my right and left - yes I'm blonde -, but I think it is one of only a few situations when being young and female is a benefit!

blueeyed20girl

Visit site
Yea I've always taken mine and I'm 23, agree to the pit but don't like that bit but rests fine and yes with bring female you can sweet talk them a bit they aren't ment to replace anything for you but they have done for me. Good luck ;)))

Mike007

Visit site
THE PIT:eek::eek::eek::eek:, Not really scary if you follow the golden rule! Dont guess, just watch the testers signals and drive slowly. Hecan see better than you so ONLY follow his signals. Remember more retests are due to faulty lights screenwashers and wiperblades,than anything else.