horsebox mechanic recommendations

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I am looking at buying a horsebox but don't have a mechanic I use to take with me. I know nothing about these things so beyond checking it has 4 wheels and no obvious holes won't be much use.
So has anyone gone someone they can recommend.
Would I be better using someone local to where the box is (fleet) or could I find someone local to where I will be keeping the box (radlett) who can go with me on the basis that long term they will be the one maintaining it.
How much is a prepurchase check likely to cost?

Am so much better with 4 legs that 4 wheels.

Thanks

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My advice would be to visit a number of local yards and find out who services their vehicles and which ones are good and reliable. Then contact the one that has the best reputation and ask them to check the vehicle over for you.

Did you mean in the area the horsebox is? Not terribly practical as I have no tranport and I can't take a day off work this week.
Was hoping to do same thing via t'internet ;-)

Anyone know a reliable mechanic who covers Fleet.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Well in that case why don't you use t'intertubes to check on local yards and get their numbers and then the old-fashioned telephonic communication device known as the 'phone to call them and pick their brains. Personally I'd be doing this in the area the box would be living in when purchased so as not to have to do it twice - ie again when you need the vehicle working on.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Can very highly recommend you Brad who owns Biecester Horsebox hire.
He is fantastic. As he runs a hire business AND has horses, he knows exactly what to check out both mechanically and horse safety wise.
He saved me alot of expense and hassle when I was looking to buy, and eventually recommended I had a box built, as we couldn;t find anything safe and reliable. People wanted silly money for tat!
Here's the link to his website,
http://www.bshhorseboxes.co.uk/
he will also service boxes, do adjustments etc.
Fantastic genuine guy.
If you would like his mobile no, Pm me,and I will forward it, but didn;t want to post it on a public forum.

Spottyappy

Visit site
BTW, i would only take mechanic after you have viewed the box, and like it. Otherwise, you may have to pay for him to look, when you'd not have purchased it anyway.