Horsebox or Trailer????

Kate_13

Visit site
Hi there

Am looking to compete next year and need transport. I have looked at lorries and trailers. What is the advantage of either?

I would like a lorry as I feel more confident for me and the horse, but all the lorries I have seen for around £4000 are generally not that great, old and have a vague history.

However a trailer needs to have a 4x4 to pull it for weight reasons. Or does it have to be a 4x4?

If I buy a 4x4 and trailer I have to insure both and MOT both. With a lorry you have one lot of MOT/Plate and Tax and insurance.

If I am only using it throughout summer and for once a month would the lorry not just rust and rot?

I have a 15hh horse, so can anyone suggest a reasonable option? Help please would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pidge

Visit site
I weighed up the pros and cons and price and bought a 20 year old lorry for £4k back in April. I've probably spent about £1k on having it painted, new rubber matting on ramp and stockboarding round horse area and saddle racks etc. But as it will comfortably take our 2 horses and has a big living area which is great for tack, rugs, show clothes, portaloo, drinks and food etc I think its fab
grin.gif
With going to shows I travel them in scruffs, then get horses ready and get changed in the living area into nice clean show clothes. It is so nice to have somewhere to store everything and to have a sit down occasionally. Plus it has actually worked out far cheaper (so far) than buying a 4x4 and trailer as I keep my corsa for day driving so running costs are low.
Best to write down pros and cons, and also prices as I was looking at a lot of money to get a decent powerful enough 4x4 to pull a hunter 510. Hope that helps a bit.

Jemayni

Visit site
I can oly do trailer pros/cons because never had lorry but...

Pros: 4x4 dead useful,
trailers cost next to nothing to insure,
dont need MOT, just service.
More reliable,
easier to store,

Cons: 4x4 expensive.
Not as cosy as lorry!
Not as much space to store stuff!

piaffe

Visit site
I spent just over 2 grand on a small 3.5 lorry. 2 horse with live in. Its a bit of a state but its cool. Much prefer a lorry, had a trailer before but think the lorry is a lot easier, room to get changed, sit and store stuff. Horses travel better in it too.

Have spent £900 getting it through the mot but its cheap to insure, and not bad on fuel. The only thing against it is that is soooo slow!
blush.gif
But, its got a lanny engine and is a c reg so not much i can do about that.

jemima

Visit site
I've never had a trailer but have borowed one a couple of times. I can't think of anything that would make me change my lorry (even though she is nearly 30 years old) for a trailer. I love the stability of the lorry, the space to change, the fact that I can load the horses up if it's wet and still have room to make a cup of coffee and have something to eat. And it's got a loo - I LOVE having a loo!

I cart masses of stuff around in it and if I decide that I want to take both the boys and another couple of horses then that's fine, just move the partitions. I could even manage three horses and a carriage if I had to.

piaffe

Visit site
There is nothing nicer and more cosy than being in my lorry when its chucking it down outside, sat down, looking out the window, with a coffee and a fried egg sandwich!
grin.gif

Kate_13

Visit site
Thank you very much.

Mind made up, a lorry it is.

I have seen a small nice one in Wansdworth, London of all places!!!

Thanks again

P.s nothing like a cup of tea and a bacon buttie after a show!

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
I have the same dilemma - I bought a Ifor 505 this year - and tow it with my BMW 230d. But I was ignorant when I bought this set up and can only tow one of the girl's horses.

I am stuck the the BMW as it is a company car and cannot be changed for 4 years. My choice is by a 4 x4 to tow the trailer
or sell the trailer and buy a lorry. I have to say I have only just got used to towing the trailer - and the thought of driving a lorry terrifies me.

Also I am a big girl (very) and am not sure whether I could a - get up into the cab - and be fit behind the steering wheel on a lorry.

Any advice.

Louby

Visit site
Ive ummed and aghed too about this. My boy travels great in a lorry but not great in a trailer although he's only ever been in a trailer twice so thats probably why. Ive just sold my Ifor 505 because I should have got the 510 and my boy was petrified.
Hes injured at the moment so hopefully he will come sound again then I cant decide whether to buy an Equitrek, Bateson or Richardson and hope my boy gets used to a trailer or go for a cheap lorry. I'd only use it maybe twice a month so I dont know if the insurance, plate, tax etc warrants it but if money was no object then I'd have a lorry anyday!

Kate_13

Visit site
That's the thing, is a lorry just going to be wasted? I do prefer a lorry as it is more comfortable for horse and person and yes if money was no object an Ascot Supreme all the way!

However I'd still have to tax and mot a 4x4 that wouldn't get used much, so I suppose it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other! Ahhhhh

I will get a lorry though, it does seem to be the best option. I'll get my other half to do more overtime to pay for the plate! Better get him a good Christmas prezzie!

piaffe

Visit site
The other thing that made a differnce for me was, with my trailer, I was driving around a 4x4 all the rest of the time, its a guzzler. With a lorry, you can have a cheaper run around. Saying that, I still have my 4x4 as i love it but i do know what the sensible option would be!
blush.gif

Louby

Visit site
My prob is we have a 4 x 4 as hubby needs one for work so I cant use buying one as an excuse for me to get a lorry!

Broodle

Visit site
Just wanted to add that you don't actually need a 4x4 for towing, especially if it's just one small horse. We used to very comfortably tow two 14.2s with a Volvo estate (which are mucho cheap and reliable and have incredible turning circles). As long as it's not a heavy trailer and you are within the towing capacity of the car it's no problem at all. In fact, often better than some of the wimpy 4x4s, as Nuala has discovered... (how annoying btw!!)

Might mean you could swap your current car for something butcher (but not full out expensive 4x4) that could be for everyday and towing?

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have the same dilemma - I bought a Ifor 505 this year - and tow it with my BMW 230d. But I was ignorant when I bought this set up and can only tow one of the girl's horses.

I am stuck the the BMW as it is a company car and cannot be changed for 4 years. My choice is by a 4 x4 to tow the trailer
or sell the trailer and buy a lorry. I have to say I have only just got used to towing the trailer - and the thought of driving a lorry terrifies me.

Also I am a big girl (very) and am not sure whether I could a - get up into the cab - and be fit behind the steering wheel on a lorry.

Any advice.

[/ QUOTE ] I doubt that you are too big for that. If you can fit behind the wheel of a car, you can fit behind the wheel of a lorry and there are loads of bits to grab as you climb up (remember, there is a step!).

I love my little 'lorry'. Its actually a Renault Master which is a large van, but it is classed at a 3.5 ton and has a 1250g payload (horse, passengers, tack etc), so its great for me to take my mare out an about.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I would choose a lorry any day. Have towed a trailer for 4 years, never could get used to reversing in tight spots and my 4track used to drink the juice. What put me off towing was when I 'snaked' - was only doing 40mph on dual carriageway, but it put the fear of God in me. The same day, it was very windy, I saw a caravan almost turn over when snaking. Since buying my lorry I have never felt safer, and I agree that having somewhere to get changed, make coffee and sit down with egg and bacon roll is so nice.