Horsebox part II

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
Right have decided to do up the box Ive just bought and put it back on the market.

The only things it really needs are seatbelts, a few bits doing to the cab and the living needs to be completed.

Since I have no knowledge of these things does anyone know of any companies down south (preferably Berks, Bucks or not too far away) that can finish the box for me? (not too expensive either!!!)
crazy.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
Horseboxes don't need seat belts - they aren't tested as part of the plate and you don't have to wear them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

ecrozier

Visit site
Hmmm, sounds like the sort of thing i MIGHT be looking for....if you do decide to sell it how much would you be looking for do you think? At a rough estimate?
ETS I think I must be quite near you actually if you are looking Bucks/Berks area?

Ferdinase514

Visit site
By log book do you mean the transfer document, with all the vehicle details on? Did you fill in the section, with the old owner when you bought it? If not you can et a form from Post Office, but I think they charge about £18 for a replacement.

I wouldn't bother with seatbelts...

What needs doing in the cab?

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
Got the transfer document thats all filled in and its been posted off and I have my copy.. Sorry not very good with these things.

The only thing with the cab is the passenger door needs looking at and the speedo is slightly out...

dieseldog

Visit site
If the lorry is 1984 I wouldn't waste my time or money fitting the living. At that age your lorry has an absolute limit as to how much it is worth and and any increase in value from redoing the living will be far less than the cost of actually doing it.

Theres a post further down about a lorry for sale that looks really nice its an A reg and shes selling it for £3950, same make and model as yours. I would just advertise yours as it is and save your money

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRef/HM6...seboxDetail.asp

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
We used to use these people when we were in Bucks. They had an old farm up a funny little track, did all the work on local horseboxes. Were great at finding bits from the local scrapyard if you needed a door or bumper etc. Their prices used to be excellent. They are a bit rough and ready, but great fun and always did a superb job for us.

James Chellingworth Motors
Bramble Lane
AMERSHAM
Buckinghamshire
HP7 9DN

Happytohack

Visit site
Mine has seatbelts though DD
grin.gif
Seriously though, as long as your lorry runs well has plenty of plate on it - if you price it to sell, it will sell without spending lots of money on it. New owners will probably want to change things anyway.

BBs

Visit site
Theres a place near High Wycombe who do horse boxes. Up a long track up a hill I remember lots of phesants lol)

If you dont have to put them in, I wouldnt (seatbelts i mean). They cost around £300 to have fitted - as we've been looking about having some installed in our lorry.

digitalangel

Visit site
sorry just have to point out that horseboxes *do* require seatbelts as they are classified as a LGV. google the seat belt regulations for yourselves.

No seatbelt might be OK for trundling down a country road, but on fast roads or motorways forget it! imho its dangerous because if you have to stop suddenly thereis *nothing* stopping you from flying through the windscreen!

Rambo

Visit site
Erm....if it was a requirement for a horsebox to have seatbelts fitted, it would be checked in the MOT as is the case for cars. It may be a requirement of newer horseboxes to have them fitted, but certainly not ALL horseboxes require them
smile.gif

digitalangel

Visit site
just go look at the regulations
smile.gif

either way would you REALLY want to be so stupid and dangerous as to drive without them?

i wouldnt want to put my own life ( or anyone elses ) in that position!

besides you can buy harness-type seatbelts which can be put over the back of the seat which are cheaper and better than nothing!

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Erm....if it was a requirement for a horsebox to have seatbelts fitted, it would be checked in the MOT as is the case for cars. It may be a requirement of newer horseboxes to have them fitted, but certainly not ALL horseboxes require them
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! my lorry passes happily without having seatbelts in it! all lorries have to have them NOW, but back when my lorry was born they werent required.

I hear you, I would love to have seatbelts fitted - and they will be, once 1. i can afford it and 2, when my bloody mechanic gets his arse in gear and orders me some.

Rambo

Visit site
For those interested, here is the link to the law of the land :-

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/seatbelts.htm

The main thing that has changed recently is the law relating to children under 12 years old. They now MUST wear a sealtbelt or suitable restraint if travelling in the front. If no seatbelt is fitted they cannot travel in the front
smile.gif
Everything else is a case of 'if its fitted it must be worn'
smile.gif