Horsebox partitions - DIY alteration

vicm2509

Visit site
I was wondering if some of you DIY people could help me out. I have put a picture below of my little horsebox. I have not travelled my boy in it yet as it needs a few alterations and some tidying up. First off is the partition. Now its in the right place but I was wanting to make it a little higher as it only comes halfway up barons belly. I plan to keep the two pieces of horizontal wood where they are and just use some stronger bolts to fix it to the hinges. So what wood would be best to use for the partition - I plan just to take the big sheet of wood off and replace it. Also what sort of shape should I cut it? If you look at the picture Baron will travel on the other side of that partition and will always travel on his own as its only a 3.5t box and he is 16.2hh. So I dont really want anything to stop him popping his head over to the other side of the partition.

So my question is what wood is best to use? Also is it ok to use gloss paint inside the box as long as I let all the smell (fumes) out before travelling him in it?

34_1.jpg

Marquire

Visit site
I can't help with the partition questions but I paint the inside of my lorry using standard gloss on the wood and metal paint on the metal. I usually leave it open with the ramp down for about a week to let the smell go then carry on as normal. Last time I bought some low odour gloss paint which made the whole process much quicker.

Marie

meandmyself

Visit site
I wonder if you'd be better off taking the partition out compleltely?

If not, I think a large sheet of MDF, with the top corners rounded off would be your best bet. Just make sure it's painted before use.

Sparklet

Visit site
Could all be down to the way the lorry is photographed but if the current partition only comes to half way up his belly, is the lorry high enough?

vicm2509

Visit site
I did put a post on yesterday about the hight and came to the conclusion it was high enough. Its 7ft 2 inside and Baron is 16.2. The partition was made to seperate 2 welsh ponies. I am going to strenthen it so I just wanted to make it higher at the same time. I will try and get a photo of him in there tonight, may get a better idea that way.

Actually, looking at the picture maybe I am exagerating a little bit (he has only been in it once)....i still would like it higher though

Sparklet

Visit site
Yes I remember the post and 7'2" will be high enough - I was just looking at the pic of the box and imagining a horse belly up fitting in
grin.gif
Have you thought about just moving the original bits of wood upwards, leaving a space at the bottom - a lot of horses like to spread a bit with their legs and it would help. Would also save a bit of expense on new bits of wood

Rambo

Visit site
Most wood you see used in partitions is Marine Ply. I'm not sure MDF would be strong enough tbh. Be aware though that Plywood is extremely heavy and you could be jeopardisong your weight limit by putting too much more in. I'd agree about raising the existing partition a bit if you can
smile.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
I cant really move it up as there will be nothing to screw it to, although he will have pleanty of room to find his feet anyway as ive left it quite roomy. I already have some ply at home but not sure it would be think enough, what thickness would be best? I just want to make it as strong as possible incase he falls against it.

Just to clarify things, how far up the horse is the partition supposed to go?

Sorry for all the questions but im not really very good at DIY. I want to get all the info I need then get my dad to sort it out, but dad isnt horsey so he wouldnt really know how for up and how strong it needs to be.

vicm2509

Visit site
Oh and regarding the weight, i am not too worried about using ply as he will be in there on his own. Weight wise I would probably get another little pony in there.

Rambo

Visit site
Are the partitions entirely made of plywood, or do they have a tubular steel frame ? I'd be very unsure of just using plywood on its own.

As for how high, well, I would say as high as is necessary to make it comfortable for the hose to lean on. In other words so that the horses side is resting against a flat panel rather than a ridge or over the top of the partition
crazy.gif

I'm not sure i'd really be wanting to make these alterations if without any idea of what I was doing though. A horse weighs a lot, and if you have to break suddenly, it weighs a lot more !

Sparklet

Visit site
Are there any horsebox converters near you - they are great for doing these jobs and tend not to charge the earth. You could get them to have a poke about your floor and check your ramp at the same time to make sure everything is safe. The horse you are putting in the box is considerably heavier than it is used to carrying. I am sure everything will be fine but it is probably a good idea to check and make sure.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I think I would just take it out completely!

Or could you just add to the top half of the exsisting partition?

You could use marine ply, or just some 12mm Ply and treat it, since it is not going to be directly in ontact with lots of moisture, like the walls would be, for example.

Have a look at the horsebox manufacturer websites, for ideas.

Try Oakley, Thorpe etc. Also "horsebox bits" are very good for advice - they helped me loads with the work I did to my box. Google them. XX

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
3/4" Marine ply would be the best sheet material to use. It is strong enough & has been made to resist water, so it shouldn't rot for years. Definately avoid MDF, it certainly isn't strong enough & water/pee will soak into it & it will break up.
I wouldn't bother cutting any pattern in the wood at all.

Regarding the paint, normal gloss is fine however on any metalwork it would be better to use Finnegans Hammerite or Smoothrite depending on the finish you want. It is available in quite a few colours.

Good Luck

acolvine

Visit site
Hi,

Im doing a horse box conversion at the moment. Major learning curve! But getting there at last.

You can pick up ready made partitions for about £250.00 each. The rail kit to hang the partition on is about £50+. You can get these from horsebox conversion companies. At least you would know the partitions are strong enough to take your horses weight, they would be galvanised and you won't have to worry about what wood to use as the inserts would be in place.
If you did want to make them yourself then i would advise marine ply. You can buy a marine varnish if you wanted to treat other wooden surfaces in your lorry.
Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.