Horsebox recovery

rowan

Visit site
Looking to take out a horsebox recovery policy for a 3.5ton horsebox, just asking who people use for recovery and have actually had to use them and how good the recovery service was.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have mine through my insurance with KBIS, which I haven't needed to use so far, thankfully. but I have used OHTO - or tried to....

Don't know if they have changed their practice but at the time they issued a new membership number every year even if the membership was renewed. We only had the previous year's number in the box (not my lorry), and they denied all knowledge of the policy even though the owner details, address etc had not changed, leaving us to sort it out ourselves. Had a blow out on the M4, not fun! So just make sure you always have the most up to date paperwork in the truck :eek3:

VRIN

Visit site
get mine through insurance with NFU. Used a couple of times - tyres on 2 occasions, alternator on a third. Great service every time - when the alternator went couldn't start the truck so the guy fixed me up so I could start it and get home (I was 200 miles from home at the time) Guy was great.

popsdosh

Visit site
I believe it is correct there are only two companies who deal with all equine related recovery within the UK and all insurance companies out source to one or the other.

VikkiL

Visit site
I've used the organisation of shoebox and trailer owners once before. In terms of recovering trailer from motorway and taking it back to yard they were brilliant. In terms of collection of stranded horse not so much so. The man on call quite obviously didn't want to come out and was very brusque and unhelpful. Got a friend to come save us instead!

ihatework

Visit site
I used to have my Horsebox insured with Shearwater and used their recovery/rescue service twice with no complaints.
First time the lorry refused to start away from home and they came in a reasonable timeframe and got it going.

Second time was also away from home and the ramp part sheared off!!
They recovered the lorry and sent a separate transporter for the horse.