Horsebox stability - 3.5t v's 7.5t ??

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
I am now in the lovely position of looking for a new horsebox again. I am unsure of which way to go - 3.5t or 7.5t. I have previously owned a 7.5t box and it was very nice, no complaints. However, it did have quite a bit of a 'rolling up and down' feel to it whenever you drove over uneven ground, eg man hole covers etc. Having borrowed a friends Leyland Daf 7.5t horsebox (same as my previous box) on a number of occasions, hers tend to do the same. Do other 7.5t boxes do this too?

A 3.5t would suit me better in terms of generally carrying 1 horse, smaller living, parking at the yard etc, but I have always driven a 7.5t box and am worried about the stability of a 3.5t if the 7.5t boxes that I've driven had this 'rolling' feeling at times.

So, thoughts / experiences please would be great.

Escada2004

Visit site
I have a 7.5t now and previously had a 3.5t, the 7.5t is great as more room and better living but in the wind it isnt as good and you can get a sway on the motorway but that doesnt bother me as they are sturdy. Yes if you go down a hole it will sway but same with most i think. I loved my 3.5t much better in the wind and as it was a renault master (not the van type) it was nice and low to the ground and was very stable. So pros and cons with both, 3.5t cheaper to run to but you cant get a decent one with living and if you do you will never be able to carry 2 horses as you wont have enough payload. Hope this helps a bit :)

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
Thanks, really helpful. Having had a 7.5t before I did enjoyhaving the living, etc but realistically, probably wont need it to such a degree now. The Leyland boxes defo have the 'rolling' feel to them but do the Iveco's or MAN's for example?

Like you say, pros an cons for both, so I've just got to figure out what's really important! :)

perfect11s

Visit site
I am now in the lovely position of looking for a new horsebox again. I am unsure of which way to go - 3.5t or 7.5t. I have previously owned a 7.5t box and it was very nice, no complaints. However, it did have quite a bit of a 'rolling up and down' feel to it whenever you drove over uneven ground, eg man hole covers etc. Having borrowed a friends Leyland Daf 7.5t horsebox (same as my previous box) on a number of occasions, hers tend to do the same. Do other 7.5t boxes do this too?

A 3.5t would suit me better in terms of generally carrying 1 horse, smaller living, parking at the yard etc, but I have always driven a 7.5t box and am worried about the stability of a 3.5t if the 7.5t boxes that I've driven had this 'rolling' feeling at times.

So, thoughts / experiences please would be great.
Basicly most horseboxes have done a few miles before they were converted and the shock absorbers are often worn which allows swaying and bumps to unsettle the lorry, another indicator is when you go over a pothole the lorry shakes and shudders instead of just one thump, so fitting new ones often makes a
Huge diffrence , the ultimate is air suspension very little roll and very smooth ride for the horses , and you can lower it for loading quite rare as its fitted on lorrys that carry delicate goods like computers or furniture or the demountable box type
your average parcel truck just gets the basic steel springs...

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Thanks, really helpful. Having had a 7.5t before I did enjoyhaving the living, etc but realistically, probably wont need it to such a degree now. The Leyland boxes defo have the 'rolling' feel to them but do the Iveco's or MAN's for example?

Like you say, pros an cons for both, so I've just got to figure out what's really important! :)

Personally I think a Leyland does roll way more! I remember driving one when I was looking for a box in the late 1990s and I was shocked by it :eek: It certainly put me right off buying it as it felt quite insecure - I guess may have got used to it.....! I have also been in friends one and it felt similar.

I have had two 7.5T Ivecos and did not get that sensation in either.

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
Basicly most horseboxes have done a few miles before they were converted and the shock absorbers are often worn which allows swaying and bumps to unsettle the lorry, another indicator is when you go over a pothole the lorry shakes and shudders instead of just one thump, so fitting new ones often makes a
Huge diffrence

This makes a lot of sense because my Leyland was a East Mids Electricity vehicle before it had the container put on the back :)

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
DarkHorseB, I have never driven any other 7.5t vehicle, but its really interesting that you've had a similar experience. I thought that it was just me going mad. I had heard that the Iveco's were more stable when going over bumpy roads, lanes etc. I have a friend who has one, so I can take it for a spin to compare :)

perfect11s

Visit site
DarkHorseB, I have never driven any other 7.5t vehicle, but its really interesting that you've had a similar experience. I thought that it was just me going mad. I had heard that the Iveco's were more stable when going over bumpy roads, lanes etc. I have a friend who has one, so I can take it for a spin to compare :)
Alot will depend on the weight and ballance of the body fitted much more than the make of chassis!!! , things like the overhang at the back, alot of boxes have a huge overhang with most of the horse area behind the rear axle as they were origanaly desighned to carry freight evenly loaded not just all at the back!!! This makes for a unstable tail wagging feel , the weight on the front axle from a big heavy old fashioned luton wont help either so I would just try lorrys to see which suit and feel best .. but the longer they are and the less overhang at the back and as light as posible the better they will drive ....

Last edited:

trendybraincell

Visit site
I don't have my own lorry but I have hired and gotten lifts in various ones. The Renault van conversions and the coachbuilt have alway felt very stable, a friend has an Iveco which is lovely, my horse can be a bad loader & traveller but he travels very well in hers :)

becca1305

Visit site
I have an Iveco 75E17. Its a great lorry. I think the floor in the horse area also greatly impacts the ride quality. On the advice of our builder we left the wooden floor underneath the aluminium as whilst the aluminium was strong enough he said the ride quality would be poorer. I transported my 2 yr old when I had just bought her loose in the back on a 3 hour journey and didnt hear a single stomp after leaving the yard, I do drive carefully but it was also my first ever time driving the lorry the week after taking my test! (dad was meant to drive but had hurt his back). Filly obviously thought the ride quality was good as shed never been travelled before but arrived happy and calm and hadnt sweated up etc :). Im very pleased with the ride tbh, cant compare to other lorries but woild definitely recommend them :). Although as others said the wear on shock absorbers may have something to do with it. I
Personally prefer 7.5tonners we borrowed a 3.5tonner once and the ride quality over unavoidable potholes was appalling whereas the lorry doesnt seem nearly as bad. It could just be down to the individual particular vehicles though?! Could you perhaps go and trial one of each off a company? :)

FlyingCoo

Visit site
Personally I think a Leyland does roll way more! I remember driving one when I was looking for a box in the late 1990s and I was shocked by it :eek: It certainly put me right off buying it as it felt quite insecure - I guess may have got used to it.....! I have also been in friends one and it felt similar.

I have had two 7.5T Ivecos and did not get that sensation in either.

Echo this!! Thought all horse lorries rolled like the Leyland did until I got my Iveco!!

Escada2004

Visit site
Ive got an iveco/cargo, its an old one 1989 but all horses have always travelled well in it, i do feel the wind when driving though. Cant comment on other makes as this is the first 7.5t i have driven :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
See I've had an ancient Bedford (1975), a Leyland DAF (M reg) and now an MAN (03 reg). They all felt identical to me in terms of ride. Except of course the MAN is plusher, and the Bedford didn't have power steering! Mind you, the Bedford and the DAF were both downrated 10 tonners, so perhaps that makes the difference? Or maybe I am just extraordinarily unobservant? That is also possible....

sychnant

Visit site
I have a Ford Cargo, and can't say I've noticed this. Round here I would always prefer a 7.5 ton as the lanes are narrow with high hedges, and I find the visibility much better. I also find that tailgaters don't worry me so much, as if they hit my Cargo they are a long way from my horse's legs. In a 3.5 ton or trailer they would only be inches away.

Having said that, I rarely go out these days and feel my lorry is wasted. But, as I have only had timewasters asking about it, I guess I can live with that for the advantages :)

foxy1

Visit site
Have driven a Ford Cargo and Leyland Roadrunner; the leyland rolled about horribly but the Cargo very steady.

Have also driven 2 3.5t Transits, very unstable awful rides, and a 3.5t VW LT35, steady as a rock. So, depends on the lorry is the answer!