Horsebox starting

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Can anybody recommend a booster for our lorry battery. It is an old 7.5 tonne Dodge deisel, had to call out the breakdown firm last week as it wouldn't start, the guy used a booster thingy and I wondered if any body could tell me a good cheap one to get?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Be careful about which booster you buy, some are relatively cheap & they aren't very good. You need a good quality one to start a lorry & they are very expensive...the one that probably came out to you would have been an industrial quality one. It may be cheaper in the long run to check up on the condition of the batteries on your lorry & replace any that are not holding chrge well. Also get an electrician to put a meter onto your circuits to check everything is charging correctly.
smile.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
We got ours from an agrcultural store and the cheapest we could find suitable for a lorry cost just over £100 - not sure I would recommend anything cheapers and risk blowing your electrics.

We had a couple of missed competitions because we couldnt start it at the beginning of winter last year. As two of us has booked to compete it didnt take many comps to loose quite a bit of money - more than the booster box cost so we decided it was a worthwhile investment. At the same time as buying it we had an isolater switch fitted which effectively disconnects the batteries when stood.

To date we have never had to use it so the isolater must be doing its job.

aliacc

Visit site
we have a Draper 12/24v power pack 75549 and a 7.5 ton lorry.

you re-charge it up at home ..and can and keep it in the lorry for use at 24V, re-charging it at intervals. ...and also use it for the car on 12V. it was reasonably priced...not cheap..but not several hunded - and can be used by me in a few minutes.

However our lorry battery did get to the stage when it was not holding a charge at all and we had to replace it.

Ali