Horsebox towing

Visit site
Hi All,

my jeep is currently in getting repairs. We have a show this weekend my dad drives a 2010 jeep patorite 2.4 petrol.
We would like to toe the horse roughly 2hrs away. Horse would be roughly 500k and horsebox is 511 so would be 1000k total would be 1500k give or take.

as far as what I have ready toeing capacity for the jeep is 1500k do you think it would be safe to toe ?
thanks in advance! :)

Visit site
I have had the hire box on the jeep just not the horse in the trailer, I am worried it would be ok maybe going from A to B a short distance but I would be worried about hills

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
My car tows 2.2 and it is fine up to that weight. I was worried hills would be a problem if I towed near capacity but they really weren’t. I assume when they calculate capacity they assume you encounter hills? But tbh I don’t know how they work out what a vehicle can safely tow.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
With regards to tow capability, i believe, cars have to prove they can do a 'dead' start on a hill 6 times with the trailer on to determine it's capabilities. I could be wrong but that is what I have been told, just googled it and it didn't tell me how manufacturers determine it

scruffyponies

Visit site
A 505 weighs nearer 900k than 1000, so you should be OK for legal weight, so long as your assessment of the horse is anywhere close.
If the car is rated to that weight it shouldn't have a problem doing the job. Whether it is stable or not depends much more on the height of towbar, trailer weight distribution, wheel base vs hitch length etc, than it does on the engine size.

When unsure of your towing rig, my advice would always be to drive at 2/3 the speed you think is safe, and pretend your brakes don't work; i.e. anticipate every junction, hazard and change in the road ahead and adjust your speed gradually and very very early. Give yourself the best chance of dealing with any situation which arises.