Horsebox/van conversion

Bex7

Visit site
i was at the coloured stallion/mare grading today at MKEC and saw a horsebox/van and wondered if anyone had anything similar....

It was a renault van that must have been converted but it was big enough to take an average horse. It had a side ramp and looked like a normal van other than that. It did have a web addy on it but I forgot it by the time I got home it was something horseboxes.co.uk and began with a "B"

Does this make any sense or am I rambling?
grin.gif
h

lisan

pets.webshots.com

Twiglet

Visit site
Renault Master, I want one!

Although my yard owner sells and hires them out, and he has many many cautionary tales to tell about them. Apparently there are a few 'one man bands' converting them out there that aren't as reputable as they should be, and there have been instances of the floors falling through because of insufficient strengthening.

But this is a problem with the converters rather than the vans or the idea - well done, they're meant to be great runners.

But be careful about what they tell you they can legally carry. With a correctly strengthened floor and ramp, 'apparently' the legal horse payload is only 900k - so they shouldn't ever carry the 2 x 16.2hh they're often advertised as being suitable for.

I don't know the full story on them, but he's a very knowledgable horsebox and trailer businessman, so I think he's looked into it in detail.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
What sort of prices are they? I have been part of a 3 way share in a 7.5 tonne box but we are now all going our seperate ways. (All totally amicable, other 2 are giving up horses for a while). It really wouldn't be practical for me to keep the lorry on my own, but it is nice to be able to just load up and go off if I want to.

Twiglet

Visit site
He's selling a 51 reg and a Y reg, one coachbuilt, one conversion, both for around the 13k mark, with low mileage.

I've seen the nice ones range from 10 to 20k really, they're not the cheapest options.

Bex7

Visit site
Well done for decyphering my post, these are exactly what I meant!

I want one just to carry one 15hh3 cob (big solid lad about 600kg) I did think of an ifor trailer but then need to get something to pull it and that would be more costly to run on a day to day basis.

(not in a position to buy one now but just keeping my eyes peeled)

x

not_with_it

Visit site
Mine is a K reg and I paid just under £7k for mine. Its a fantastic little box and really easy to drive. I would say its more suitable for the shorter horse heightwise, dont think I would get 2 x 16.2's in it like it should. Gin is 15.2 and its the perfect size for her cute body!
grin.gif