horseboxes. Could someone who has one please do me a small favour?

not_with_it

Visit site
How big is the horse area in your 7.5t boxes? and what size horses does it carry? If anyone has any pictures that would be fantastic.

Sorry for being so vague but dont want to jinx things.

Also for those of you that have a full tilt cab (including the luton) how is it sealed so that it is weatherproof?

ttt

Visit site
You will get many different replies.
You would be better giving the dimensions of the lorry you are interested in and the sizes of your horses?

not_with_it

Visit site
You will get many different replies.
You would be better giving the dimensions of the lorry you are interested in and the sizes of your horses?

It will be made to whatever I want, thats why the question is left open.
It will be stalled to carry 3 but will only carry 2 horses. I just want to make sure its roomy enough and its done right.

vam

Visit site
Not sure if this is any help as i dont know the exact dims of the horse area but my lad is 16.3hh. One of the main reasons i got it was because of the size of the horse area (as well as being sound). The only thing is it could maybe be abit wider but as i normally only travel mine its fine.
Horse_box_horse_area.jpg

With lanky on it

P1020940.jpg

Overall size if the box, the horse area is larger than the living which is about 2.1m (only rough idea from the plans of its new living)
P1020572.jpg

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks. I suppose the width will depend on the size of the lorry.

I just want to make sure everything is right first time, if not its an expensive mistake to make. Im not bothered how big the living is so long as the horses are comfortable.

Booboos

Visit site
For what it's worth when I looked at 7.5 tonne lorries recently I was really disappointed with the horse area. It was tiny and followed by a steap ramp, nothing like the lovely space I am used to with my two facing forward in a 5.2 tonne. Oddly enough I also could not get bespoke, extremely expensive companies to change their design and do two facing forwards in a 7.5 tonne - clearly they don't need the money!

not_with_it

Visit site
For what it's worth when I looked at 7.5 tonne lorries recently I was really disappointed with the horse area. It was tiny and followed by a steap ramp, nothing like the lovely space I am used to with my two facing forward in a 5.2 tonne. Oddly enough I also could not get bespoke, extremely expensive companies to change their design and do two facing forwards in a 7.5 tonne - clearly they don't need the money!

This one will be made completely to my spec and a large light horse area is top of my list. I would rather go slightly on the large side and eat into the living space.

vam

Visit site
vam-how wide is your box?

About 8ish foot i think, he is in a 6'6 rug. The only reason i say i'd like it wider is because when i tie up his hay net he gets abit bunched up. sovle the prob by tying the haynet in the other partition space, works well for him. :)

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
How big is the horse area in your 7.5t boxes? and what size horses does it carry? If anyone has any pictures that would be fantastic.

Also for those of you that have a full tilt cab (including the luton) how is it sealed so that it is weatherproof?

I had a lorry built earlier this year and the coachbuilder who did mine was happy to build to whatever design I required. The container on my truck is 20' split in 8' living and 12' horse area. I cannot tell you how wide the inside of the horse area is but think it is at about the maximum allowed (if such a maximum/standard exists). Headheight is 8' (higher than my old one which was about 7'9/10") and this makes a massive difference. I have H style partitions and no side tack lockers which gives feeling of much more space.

Mine is stalled for 3.5. The front stall has a full depth partition and is in effect the half stall. I use this for storing all my tack, grooming kit, broom etc. The full depth partition prevents things sliding under the horses. This layout also means that all my equipment is inside the lorry, so much easier when tacking up (I never ever tack anything up outside!). The jockey door opens in to the horse area (the front "half" stall) so this stall/storage area is used like a lobby area. The bulkhead wall is to the left of the jockey door. I find this lay out works for me (had two built like this) as it means I am not constantly in and out of the living which does help keep it cleaner (and warmer!).

Whilst mine is stalled for 3 it would be over weight with 3, I only ever have two on and have loads of space to easily tack both up inside. The horses I transport tend to be 16.2 ish chunky warmbloods.

As for the tilt cab, mine has a fibreglass moulded luton and I think it has rubber seals which so far have remained weatherproof. No idea how that is constructed as that is getting a bit technical for me.

Overall am pleased with the dimensions of mine. The 12/8 split works for me. As I have no side lockers (tack in horse area) it means I still have loads of cupboard space along with a fridge. I do have skirt lockers which are useful for haynets, muck skip etc. Sorry to waffle but hope that helps. It is a big thing having a lorry built and you want to get it right.

ttt

Visit site
Thanks. I suppose the width will depend on the size of the lorry.

I just want to make sure everything is right first time, if not its an expensive mistake to make. Im not bothered how big the living is so long as the horses are comfortable.

You mainly get two widths of lorries, 7ft6 and 8ft.
Personally, I wouldn't go for less than 9ft horse area for stalling three and I wouldn't go less than 8ft in height.

NR99

Visit site
Ours is a 20ft box, split 10ft and 10ft, cab is overhung by the Luton which weather protects a lot but him indoors tells me also has rubber suction seals :confused:

He built it so he should know, clever stick - it's all way beyond me!

ecrozier

Visit site
Fwiw I believe ours is a 18 ft container and a 12/6 split. I can fit 3 proper horses in but our living is quite tiny. In an ideal world I carry two and have stuff in third partition (have removable saddle racks in there). However I do carry 3, on Sunday I had a 16.2 ISH Who tends towards the lean tb side at probably just under 600kg, my 16.2 wbxish at maybe 600kg (he was 520 on spillers weighbridge in June but has filled out a bit!) and a 15.3 tb at probably 550 max so had just under 1800kg of horse, mine and the tb both in 6'3 rugs and the ish in a 6'6 and they were all comfortable with plenty of space for haynets etc. Incideny before anyone shouts my lorry on weighbridge was 5290kg with me, the kit I keep on board, my dog and water etc in tanks, so as I'm confident the horses came to 1800kg, I still have 400kg for an extra passenger and three sets of tack. I wouldn't take three the size of mine though as might start getting a bit squished in there tho!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Mine is 7'6" wide and is an 18ft container split 9/9It carries two large horses if herringboned and has a tack locker in there, too. Three ponies travel very comfortably in the 3' stalls. No Luton but very roomy and well appointed living with sleeping for two and a fridge and hob. Tilt cab has rubber seals around the cut through.

smiggy

Visit site
so do people think a 7ft wide by 8ft long would be enough to travel 2 14,2 herringbone ?
van-thanks for the measurement :)

flyingfeet

Visit site
Mine is 7ft9 wide, 8ft high and I gave each horse 3ft3" width.

However is actually too much space if you want to use only 2 partitions, so you live and learn!

3ft like the builder suggested is probably best!

Tempi

Visit site
Not sure how wide mine is but used to be able to fit Archie (18hh) and Bloss (16'1 but 7ft rugs!) in it quite happily (and yes it was under weight before anyone asks).

Our tilt camb is sealed by this stuff that looks like the rubber sealent around double glazing. Then when they need to tilt the camb they run a knife along it to unseal it, then re seal afterwards with the same stuff.

perfect11s

Visit site

mine is 94" by 10 ft and 94" high so 8x8 external I think 8 ft4" is the max width for uk law so you can get a 8ft wide internal stall however I think 8 ft wide externaly is about right bigger and its a bit wide for lanes and the narrow access you can encounter.. oh will easly carry my 15.3 chunky QH without angling the partitions but they would angle a fair bit given its got 10 ft... can post pics if someone can tell me how!!!!

Last edited:

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks for the replies eveyone, its really helpful.

I think if I have a tack locker it will be in the living area so it is cut under the seats so I dont take any space out of the horse area.

sillygillyhorse, I like the idea of having a half stall for storage, something I will consider.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
My previous lorry had an external tack locker that was into the living as well as having the same layout with the half stall. The locker was hardly used due to having saddle racks and stacking plastic draws in the half stall. I decided not to bother with a tack locker on the current truck and can honestly say I am not missing it at all.

not_with_it

Visit site
It definately is food for thought. Bits will be done as money comes in so I might try with the half stall and put in a tack locker later in the year if I still want one.

dingle12

Visit site
Who is doing it for you? just be really careful who you have doing it and double check they know what they are doing. Main thing is the floor there are loads of people out there who has the lorries built and the floors are not strong enough :(