Horseflies in January?

Squirily

Visit site
My horse had a largeish swollen area behind his wither mid last week which I initially thought was a bite from another horse. However its formed a raised scabby area about the size of a 2p which looks very much like a nasty horsefly bite he had back in the summer. Its also quite sore, he didnt like me cleaning and having a closer look at it last night. I wouldn't be so concerned except for the fact its on the top of his back and directly under his saddle, so I cant ride and he isn't really the type to exercise in hand (he does get turned out daily, but is a handfull if I dont ride regularly). I haven't seen any horseflys, or any other suspect insects buzzing around, or anything on his rugs or numnahs. Anyone else seen any, is it possible they're still about??

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
It would be unusual for pukka horse flies to be about in January but far from impossible because all these beasties respond to local temperatures and there one happened to be awake in your area it would immediately look for something to bite!

I have seen a honey bee outside the office today around lunchtime in a spot of sun - it's now 10/10th and chilly. Seen houseflies outside last week too and some moths in the evenings despite cold winds. Bumble bees don't count because they generate their own energy rather than relying on the ambient temperature.

missmatch

Visit site
Could it be a spider bite? I always have to shake my rugs for spiders. Quite possibly one hid in a rug or in a corner of th stable?