Horsehage feeding quantity - quick help needed please!

Polos

Visit site
Hello!

I arrived at a stay away show early this evening and I ordered hayledge to collect on arrival. I’ve been given horsehage but I’ve never fed it before so would appreciate some quick advice!

My mare normally gets 3 big nets of hayledge a day so she’s constantly eating. However, I am aware that horsehage is richer so you feed less. The bag states one bale will last 2-3 days but it doesn’t seem a lot.

I’ve given her 3 ‘slices’ (looks about a third of a net) with her evening feed. Does this seem enough? I’m going out after my dinner has cooked to change rugs etc so I can always give her more then if needed so would appreciate people’s opinions on the amount I’ve given her please!

If it’s any help she’s just under 500kg and gets 1 scoop of hifi and 1/2 scoop coolmix AM and PM

ihatework

Visit site
Well horsehage comes in 20kg bales.
The slices are deceptive as they are very tightly packed.

Horsehage also comes in different grasses - the green is rye so yes higher energy but the blue (high fibre) or purple (Timothy) are more equivalent to a standard meadow.

I suppose it comes down to what weight you would normally feed and in conjunction with grass etc.

2.5% of 500kg body weight is 12.5kg of haylage. So over 24h I’d expect you to use 1/2-2/3 bale if no access to grass and your horse isn’t a greedy ad lib type.

Polos

Visit site
Well horsehage comes in 20kg bales.
The slices are deceptive as they are very tightly packed.

Horsehage also comes in different grasses - the green is rye so yes higher energy but the blue (high fibre) or purple (Timothy) are more equivalent to a standard meadow.

I suppose it comes down to what weight you would normally feed and in conjunction with grass etc.

2.5% of 500kg body weight is 12.5kg of haylage. So over 24h I’d expect you to use 1/2-2/3 bale if no access to grass and your horse isn’t a greedy ad lib type.

Thanks for your speedy response!

Pretty sure it’s the rye one but I will double check. I did find that it was very tightly packed so like you say it’s probably deceptive what amount is in the bale.

As we are stabled at the show she has no proper access to grass for 5 days although there is grass in the stable field so I was hoping to hand graze her around our classes. She has had her usual 2 nets for lunch and breakfast so I am debating about whether giving her a bit more or leaving it for tonight.

She is a pig though and will keep eating whatever is put in front of her!

tankgirl1

Visit site
I have found that it doesn't go as far as it says on the bag. I have used half a bale for my 14hh pony and she ate every last scrap and was stood with nothing come morning :(

Polos

Visit site
I have found that it doesn't go as far as it says on the bag. I have used half a bale for my 14hh pony and she ate every last scrap and was stood with nothing come morning :(

I’ve just been to check her rugs and top up water and she’s eaten everything already so I’ve given her another 2 slices double netted as don’t really want her to spend the night with nothing 😬

ihatework

Visit site
Some of them find it super yummy and hoover it up.

If you are there 5 days I’d be inclined to give less per net but offer nets more frequently. Otherwise it will cost you a fortune and if it’s the rye one your horse may rapidly expand!

I had one that would trough a bale a day given half a chance! Yet my current chap had them last summer and would quietly pick his way through 1/3 bale over about 9 hours.

Polos

Visit site
Some of them find it super yummy and hoover it up.

If you are there 5 days I’d be inclined to give less per net but offer nets more frequently. Otherwise it will cost you a fortune and if it’s the rye one your horse may rapidly expand!

I had one that would trough a bale a day given half a chance! Yet my current chap had them last summer and would quietly pick his way through 1/3 bale over about 9 hours.

I think she has found it super yummy which is why it’s all gone haha. She is a bit of a pig though and will carry on eating whatever you put in front of her.

Ok tomorrow I will try feeding less but more frequently. Is 1 slice per net stingy? How many nets should I aim for ?

It is the rye one so I will need to be careful as she does put on weight easily. She’s currently at a perfect weight but can balloon quite easily!

ihatework

Visit site
Difficult to say without knowing your horse or the size of the slices it is packed in.

But I’d aim to offer a small net every 3 hours through the day with a slightly bigger one at late night check. With a view to split out 2/3 of a bale. Depending on when she is working you could also use bucket feed & hand grazing to replace one or two.

Polos

Visit site
Difficult to say without knowing your horse or the size of the slices it is packed in.

But I’d aim to offer a small net every 3 hours through the day with a slightly bigger one at late night check. With a view to split out 2/3 of a bale. Depending on when she is working you could also use bucket feed & hand grazing to replace one or two.
Thank you very much! You’ve been very helpful :)