Horsehunting!:(

jaquelin

Visit site
So I am now doing this - its like dating, and not in a fun way!

Is anyone else in this boat at the moment? Personal dislikes include advertisers very casual approach to actual size of horse, and also the obsession with timewasters! When I see that I think, "well, maybe I shouldn't contact them because they don't want anyone to contact them unless they are absolutely copper bottom guaranteed to buy the horse." But how do you sell your horse unless lots of people look at it, and all but one of those will be time-wasters. If you really don't want any time wasters then put your horse with a dealer. I looked at a horse recently with the "re-advertised due to timewasters" on the advert, did not buy it (owner wouldn't ride horse herself, a red flag) and left thinking, "well there I go another time waster for them to gripe about."
Something else I am noticing with private sellers is some have got themselves over-horsed, and are selling for that reason. At least it keeps me focussed on not making the same mistake.
I hope to eventually find something suitable, but in the meantime, its grim work!

Clippy

Visit site
Those few words "readvertised due to timewaster" are the most off-putting phrase in any horse advert and would stop me even phoning up about their horse.

I share your pain!

Bustalot

Visit site
Another horse hunter here. I hate it. Everything from the looking at adverts to the calling up to the visiting to the riding of strange horses. But it has to be done otherwise I will never get anything! Lol. I don't tend to read to much in to the words on the advert. If the horse is the right price height etc I always ring and actually speak to the seller to find out the information. Good luck with your search.

Jazzy B

Visit site
I was told that horsehunting should be fun, I hate everything about it from looking at ads, talking to owners, some are very nice, others leave yourself asking were they actually advertising a horse for sale or what? And then those that clearly lie on the phone and you arrive at their god forbidden yard to find a complete donkey who is clearly not the horse they see with their rose tinted glasses on. I feel your pain too!!!

Saying that one day you will arrive at a yard and an owner will produce the most beautiful horse you have ever seen in your whole life. :D

classicalfan

Visit site
Must admit that whenever I've been looking for a horse for myself I've always gone to dealers (unless it was someone I knew who was selling). I never had the time to travel round the country looking at them all. Having them all in one place was much more practical.
Good luck with your hunt!

X

xspiralx

With regards to the timewaster thing, you have to see it from the seller's perspective as well.

A person turns up, tries the horse, not suitable for whatever reason, lets the seller know quite quickly - not a timewaster. Only someone very unreasonable would call someone a timewaster simply because they decided the horse wasn't right for them.

On the other hand, if you lie about your ability, or try a horse and decide its not suitable for a reason you were clearly told about beforehand, make appointments and don't turn up and don't call and let the seller know, try a horse multiple times and then change your mind - those are all timewasting things and they are very frustrating!

Its swings and roundabouts unfortunately - for every dodgy seller there is a buyer equally as dodgy and it makes life very difficult for both parties! Chin up OP - the right one will come along! :)

dollymix

Visit site
I have bought a new horse in the past couple of months and feel your pain re adverts!!

The number of horses I went to see and didn't even get on was amazing - usually because they were very obviously lame. There was also the horse I went to see who dished very badly. This was a horse I had told the owner I wanted to show and she assured would be suitable (no mention of dishing!) and it was more than 3 hours drive away!!!

The No Timewasters really put me off too! It irritates me that sellers seem to think that buyers LIKE driving for hours on end to see a horse that's not suitable and not as advertised!

In fact, one sellers attitude really stank. I was looking for a quiet, school master type to show and do more jumping. It was imperative that the temperment was spot on as my novice husband has to look after them when I work late. I rang about one horse which was younger than I'd wanted and had a lengthy chat with the owner who assured me it had a lovely temperment and was so quiet and gentle 'your granny could take it for a hack' and 'leave a toddler in the stable with it'. Well we arrived and the first thing it did was try to bite us when we looked over the door, then it tried to kick out at us when we ran a hand down its leg!!!! I told the owner there and then she wasn't for me (very politely and nicely) and she said 'thanks for wasting my time'!!! GRRRRRRR!!! I felt the same about her since i'm the one who'd driven for 70 + miles to see something which I was assured was quiet and gentle natured!!!

As it happens, I found my new girl very locally - only 30 mins drive away and I found her on The Horse Exchange, which I like as each horse's listing is much more detailed.

Last edited:

measles

Visit site
I completely understand how frustrating it can be for purchasers having driven miles to see ponies for elder son and finding them were not as described. The best one was going from one end of the country to another to see a 14.2hh who the vendor said "we think he might have a virus" when try couldn't even get him to canter.. I subsequently discovered that they were selling him as he had bolted in the arena and jumped the gate, depositing their child. Safe? No, me neither.

Now when we are selling the horses we source and produce we give references up front to give prospective purchasers confidence. Why not ask vendors for those and lots of pictures and videos up front? I always provide them voluntarily but I have often thought those vendors who won't might be the ones with something to hide. Winter wild goose chases are to be avoided in my book!

MiCsarah

Visit site
We were selling a horse for a lady who was a complete timewaster!! We found a lovely buyer for her horse but all actual sales went through the owner and nobody could get hold of her. When they finally did the owner decided to tell the buyer that the mare was quirky (mare was actually incredibly straight forward just had usual grumpy mare traits that buyer knew all about). In the end we sent the mare back to her as she was wasting our time even though she was paying us!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We are going to start looking in the new year. Have started looking at adds already to get a feel for prices etc - also to see if anything has been on the market for a while. Daughter and I try to read between the lines of the add and see what 'hasnt' been written. I am dreading it already and am seriously considering going to a dealer.

I supposed we are a bit despondent beacause having lost the 'perfect' horse for us we feel it is unlikley to find such treasure twice.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
Although not looking to buy now, i am after the winter.
The one that keeps cropping up is "snaffle mouthed at all times" and then theres a picture of it in a gag out hunting?!?! (looking for a hunter).
Its fine to have to hunt in a gag, but don't say its snaffle mouthed!

indie999

Visit site
There is a common theme and you will find you get good at identifying them. A while ago there was a brilliant thread on H&H what the adverts REALLY MEAN!

I gave up looking as couldnt find and was so fed up travelling miles and being told big porkers. I did meet about 2 genuine sellers who had their horses interest at heart.

But good luck

nicola172

Visit site
Hi everyone, I dont usually write anything on here, but I sell quality horses for a living and I really do see timewasters so felt I had to comment on behalf of sellers.
I currently have a handfull of really nice horses in my yard at the moment for sale. I try and describe the horses ability, temp and description in detail to avoid the people who just seem to ring up for a chat!! People are often not honest with themselves re their own ability and aims in thier riding, but then still respond to adverts to horses which would over horse themselves.
I have had people come and try horses, who have jumped them, hacked and even competed them, said they would like to come back or have them vetted, to then recived a text to say thier mother has died, dog been put to sleep, broken thier leg or worst of all had the horse vetted then never shown up to pay and collect the horse when arranged!!!
I am very choosy to whom comes to try my horses now and if when I meet them I think they are not a suitable match for the horse, I wont let them ride it.
I understand that buying a horse is a very stressfull experence both finanically and metalally, but there are good honest sellers out there who only want the best for thier horses and will only sell to reputable homes!!!
Good luck with your search x x
p.s sorry for spelling-im in a rush!!

jaquelin

Visit site
OP here. Another viewing today. At least i got on it and oh, by the way I always wear a chest protector having been bucked off a "for sale" horse a few years ago. Today the dealer wasn't present so no passport to se and I was shown a few by a Polish groom who had only been riding 7 mo and an Irish side-kick. Polish guy just wound the poor horse up, then I got on and tried to get him calmed down a bit. Paces weren't great and other shown was TB type which I didn't want. Horses not ridden remotely correctly so difficult to see if they could go correctly or not.
However, an acquaintance is acting as my "agent" at the moment and has found something interesting which if it suits she will keep for a month to produce. Maybe this will work - I will know next weekend.

And earlier poster replacing once in a lifetime horse, I am too but fully recognising I will never be able to do that, just trying for something suitable.

indie999

Visit site
OP here. Another viewing today. At least i got on it and oh, by the way I always wear a chest protector having been bucked off a "for sale" horse a few years ago. Today the dealer wasn't present so no passport to se and I was shown a few by a Polish groom who had only been riding 7 mo and an Irish side-kick. Polish guy just wound the poor horse up, then I got on and tried to get him calmed down a bit. Paces weren't great and other shown was TB type which I didn't want. Horses not ridden remotely correctly so difficult to see if they could go correctly or not.
However, an acquaintance is acting as my "agent" at the moment and has found something interesting which if it suits she will keep for a month to produce. Maybe this will work - I will know next weekend.

And earlier poster replacing once in a lifetime horse, I am too but fully recognising I will never be able to do that, just trying for something suitable.

Unfortunately I got switched off purchasing when 2nd viewing the horse that has never bucked sent me flying out side door.The owner then got on and it buckaroood all down a hedge. Thank goodness all I got was a sore butt but I am not getting younger and it has actually put me off looking I had looked at so many and got the money out to buy this one! I was gutted. But good luck I know one person that did find a good one soon after! I know they do exist. I did question did it buck or rear and was assured it never ever had bucked(now dont get me wrong my old boy bucked with excitement so I know they are all capable) but I have looked at a lot of horses and gave up after this! I did register with a good dealer but as yet nothing.

Sparkles

Visit site
Don't get me started on timewasters! Think the best was one who was really keen, talked back and forth for a while, said providing he was as advertised they wanted him, turned up with a lorry on trial.....said he was perfect.......and only had cash on them for less than half the horse was advertised at!

And sent on their way back, with an empty horsebox funnily enough....

jaquelin

Visit site
Christmas sparkles, that was a scam! Obviously thought you would part with the horse for 1/2 the money. I am very non-committal on the phone, because we all know at the end of the day it is how you feel on that horse. One I saw yesterday looked absolutely lovely, but when I got on him - no way! As a seller, if someone was really enthusiastic sight-unseen I would be suspicious. I do think sellers should try to suss out what prospective buyer wants, and if there is not a match, don't encourage them. Likewise for buyers. I confess I am somewhat driven by geography, as I think most of us are, and that could make me view a horse that wasn't so suitable as it was close.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yes, I too am horse hunting and it is hard work finding something suitable and not a million miles away for a reasonable price. I look at adverts daily right now, hoping the right one will come along, I hate being horseless, sharing the care of my friends is lovely but just not the same for me. I have had horses in my life for over 20yrs and am suddenly horseless and hunting.
Good luck in your search, there is alot of sifting to be done!

Moomin1

Visit site
Things that put me off in any advert are:
"Readvertised due to timewaster"
"Needs competent, confident rider as can be sharp"
"Occasionally naps hence price"
"Prefers hacking in company although will go alone"

jaquelin

Visit site
OP again, with an update. Answered advert that said horse is 16 1/2 hands which I would interpret as more than 16h 1" but less than 16h2". Uh-uh. Message on my answer phone said "replying concerning the 16h2" horse! Have ridden a friends horse, which was pleasant and easy to ride, then rode another donkey which made me feel I couldn't ride at all.
The search continues.
Good-ish news though at one level sad. Insurance has paid everything now, 3 weeks after horse death, including full purchase price, so at least I have a bit of cash to shop with.

reindeerlover

Visit site
I'm quite surprised to see how many people are looking for horses at the moment. My mare is off for the winter because I assumed that nobody would be looking before spring! Anyone want a fat hairy mare with no shoes, a longer than normal mane and twigs in her tail? She's very friendly :p

jaquelin

Visit site
OP again. I am looking as I lost my horse to colic and I feel I "need" to at some level. Also I am assuming it is going to take ages so starting now.
I have to say I am getting loads of support from friends - everyone is on the lookout for me. It just has to be the right horse, and that takes time.

A strange story, though - someone on HHO PM'ed me and said they had the perfect horse and provide my email address and they would send pics, etc. So I did. Nothing arrived. But about 2 days after junk mail for a horsey DVD appeared in my email :confused:
Scam to get my email address?