Horseman's Sunday

merlins-mum

community.webshots.com
Horseman's Sunday at Epsom is approaching (24th Sept) and I have heard that it is a great event to be at.

Has anyone been? What's the process? Do you have to dress up (full show gear) or is clean and polished sufficient?

Any info gratefully received.

charmaine

Visit site
I used to go every year many years ago. It used to be reasonably informal then but I don't know about now. We used to wear jods and a hacking jacket etc.

sojeph

Visit site
This is what I wore last time I went
els.jpg

Was a few years back now but I think its wear what you like.
Just beware of road racers zooming past from nowhere up the road but apart from that its a pretty laid back civil affair. Enjoy if you go!

lordflynn

Visit site
sorry, last time I went was about 1978! I went for 3 years running age 5-8 and still have the rosettes somewhere
laugh.gif
we used to wear jods and hacking jackets-it was a lovely day so have a great time!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm the same as Lord Flynn but the last time I went was '66! (I've just realised how LONG ago that was, eeek!)

It used to be a big day, all of us in our best bib and tucker; the horses polished till you could see your face in them and always plaited. Although we all tried to look as smart as possible it was still a very friendly and moving affair.

Do hope you enjoy it if you go.

airedale

Visit site
yep - gotten very informal now and only about 100 horses attend

there is a collection for a horse charity so take a donation with you

the diddicoys are being kept under better control but make sure your horse can cope with carriages.

routine is that the led horses and the carriages go down first and the ridden horses last

the tarmac on the parade road is slippery so make sure you haven't got worn shoes as there is not much grip.

now there are fewer people going the scrimmage and stupidity is also gone.

It is a nice way to get your horse blessed for the next year.

I may also go this year - depends on the weather as I don't really like getting wet but I have a particular reason for wanting to go this year on my own.

there is plenty of space so if horse gets fidgety you can always take it out the back and just walk round.

some people also bring donkeys - and some horses don't like those !!!

have fun

RobinHood

Visit site
My YO isn't keen for us to go because of the risk of catching something from the "undesireable's" horses. I might go up to watch though, the downs is only 10mins from my house.