Horseriders - Hertfordshire

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Just to remind you that we are having the annual BHS Hertfordshire 2006 annual meeting tomorrow at 7.30 p.m. at the Memorial Hall Marford Road Wheathampstead AL4 8AY. (Close to the A1). Matters being discussed will be Trailer driving and courses, Choosing a horsebox, Road Safety courses and tests for children and adults, How to deal with Ragwort, Le-Trec training and local riding instructors. We will also have Mark Weston BHS director of Access (Bridleways), Safety and Welfare there to answer questions.

Everyone is welcome. Free entrance Free Parking

Thistle

Visit site
would love to come, but I have kids to pick up from school at 5.30 and horses to do etc etc. Please mention the fact that bridleways turn to footpaths where they cross the border from E Herts to N Herts.

serena2005

Visit site
yes bridlepaths area pain i wish they wuld resurface them all the one leading to the A1 is basically bricks. and as for the A1 the might as well concreted it.

Thistle

Visit site
It's pretty much any bridleway thay crosses from E Herts to N Herts, particularly between Buntingford and Rushden. Have a look at the map, in E Herts they are bridleways then as they cross into N Herts at Broadfield they become footpaths!

Have been told that back in the 50's when maps were reassesed the parish councils had to designate their own patch. The family that own that land (you know who I mean, the compost station) were most of the parish council so designated most of their patch as footpaths so less up keep. The same the track that runs down the back of my land, it is an ancient green lane but is now a footpath.

Similar thing in Sandon too - have you noticed how the major land owner the F-W family have not bridleways on their land?

OWLIE185

Visit site
Thistle
As regards the issue in Rushdon/Cumberlow Green as you know we sorted out the track from Cumberlow Green Northwards to Wallington some time ago with Countryside Management so that horse riders could use it. What you need to find me are people that remember these routes now marked as public footpaths on the definitive map but which where previously used by horse riders and maybe by horses and carts. Are there any elderly people in Rushdon or the surrounding area that may remember these routes being used by horses? Could you send me a map with them marked on so that I can also do some research on them? I am quite happy to help you on this.

Peter Natt BHS Volunteer Access (Bridleway) Officer Hertfordshire

Email peter.natt@btinternet.com