Horses adapting

amzy

Visit site
I know some horses can change character when brought into a new home and just wondered on anyones experiences, good or bad. If a horse has lived on its own from the age of 3 until 10 and only known the one owner in that time, do you think it would find it hard to adjust to life in a small livery yard and a new owner?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think it would certainly find it hard adjusting to life in a herd. Would you have the option of introducing it very slowly - over a period of months - to multiple horse turn out??

Blizzard

Visit site
Yes i agree with the previous post, perhaps have him or her in an adjoining field to the other horses for a while and gradually introduce another field mate, then you can intergrate them into the herd.

Many horses will try it on when they feel settled in a new home, I believe its important to start how you mean to go on and give them a routine where possible so they know you are not going to disappear and they can settle in.

My new horse is coming home on sunday and he will be in a field adjoining the other horses for the first few days, then if he is settling ni well, he will go in the amin field with the other 9 horses.
Then buy next weekend I will start riding him
smile.gif