Horses and donkeys

wispagold

Visit site
Not strictly CR but wasn't sure where to put it.

I have got a 5yr old gelding on loan and I have just moved him from being at full livery with my friend to a livery yard just down the road from my house. He has only been there since saturday and has settled very well so far apart from he doesn't like the yard owners donkeys.

At the moment the donkeys are kept in the paddock opposite his stable. He has spent the last 3 days stood at his stable door staring at them and being quite tense. He was better yesterday as much more relaxed and he did go and stand on his bed whilst I brushed him. But as soon as I get him out of the stable it is like he is on springs and he is constantly looking around him. This is very unlike him him as normally very chilled out. I don't think he likes the smell as I was stoking one yesterday and then went to put his head collar and and he was pretty freaked out!

I know he needs time to settle in with his new surroundings but once he is in his field away from the donkeys he is completely fine. I am a bit worried as he normally comes trotting over in the field but today wouldn't come over and I think he realises when I catch him he has to go back over to where the donkeys are. He is also difficult to lead in as doesn't want to come onto the yard any more (this seems to be getting worse). I am on my own when I have to do him so no one to help with the gates or anything.

Another worry is the other field the donkeys live in runs alongside the menage. My boy has only been backed 9 weeks so I can only imagine what fun this will bring when I try to ride him when they are in there.

So this has turned out to be so long. Is there any advice anyone can give me to help him get use to the donkeys or how long it might take. Please reassure me he will get over them eventually! The donkeys are about a hundred years old and don't take a blind bit of notice of him!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
He will get used to them, we used to have a donkey, and he never had any adverse reactions to him, all the horses just LOVED him. I think they scare horses sometime though as the horses realise they have met something that is far cleverer than them ;)