Horses and water

Sofiamarsella

Visit site
Hi there I have had a rescue mini pony for the past year and he was perfect for baths but was always a little nervous. I turned him away for winter and now it’s time for a bath again! I brought him into the was stall and he freaked out so instead of using the hose so I used the sponge. He was fine for about ten minutes and then he freaked out. What’s worse is I have someone coming to clip him tomorrow and I need to give him a bath today! Any advice on what I should do?

be positive

Visit site
So you have no idea how he will be with that, I am surprised anyone is prepared to come out to clip at the moment unless they know they can work alone and the pony will not require holding, if he is upset by being washed I suspect he may be much the same for clipping, personally I would wait and spend more time handling him, getting him comfortable with being washed and leave the clipping as it is not essential his coat may be thick but it will come out over the next month or so.

That said I never bath before clipping, they get a good groom and bathed afterwards, it may help preserve the blades if the coat is clean but it has never made my job any harder, the blades get sent off for sharpening when they need it.

Sofiamarsella

Visit site
So you have no idea how he will be with that, I am surprised anyone is prepared to come out to clip at the moment unless they know they can work alone and the pony will not require holding, if he is upset by being washed I suspect he may be much the same for clipping, personally I would wait and spend more time handling him, getting him comfortable with being washed and leave the clipping as it is not essential his coat may be thick but it will come out over the next month or so.

That said I never bath before clipping, they get a good groom and bathed afterwards, it may help preserve the blades if the coat is clean but it has never made my job any harder, the blades get sent off for sharpening when they need it.
He is fine with clipping I have clipped his face and legs but just need someone with a more heavy duty blade to come and do his body.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
How much time have you spent with him over the winter ? If he's been used to living out and having minimal contact during the last few months, it might be because he was caught off guard. Ideally, spend a few days reintroducing the pre summer routine after his holidays, with handling, grooming and exploring the washing area. Try shampooing just legs or tail before the next session with a full bath.
Some horses and ponies are sensitive souls.

Sofiamarsella

Visit site
How much time have you spent with him over the winter ? If he's been used to living out and having minimal contact during the last few months, it might be because he was caught off guard. Ideally, spend a few days reintroducing the pre summer routine after his holidays, with handling, grooming and exploring the washing area. Try shampooing just legs or tail before the next session with a full bath.
Some horses and ponies are sensitive souls.
I have been working with him all winter it just dosent make sense! He loves swimming in the lake but just dosent like baths!