Horses are SUCH great levellers ...

Smitty

Visit site
Got my chap in from his very sparse paddock this morning. Being a hungry, bad mannered little toad he managed to escape my clutches as usual and we did our usual routine to the stables, him trotting off a couple of strides and stuffing as much grass in his gob as possible, allowing me to catch him and then doing same again.

As I towed the thing into the stable block, YO and one of her sidekicks decided it was time to dispense advice. Apparently a good yank in the gob with a chiffney would solve all my problems, it had theirs and YO was able to lead her horse around all over the place without it escaping as it was now the epitome of good behaviour. Apparently it had worked for loading as well, not just with her horse but another livery's.

I went off on my ride, pondering on just when these remarkable changes had taken place, and not unconcerned that I may turn up one day and find my chap with a broken jaw. To avoid further conflict I rode him back to his bare patch and struggled up to the stables carrying his tack, just in time to see YO loading hers (who is on a bare patch next to mine) in a headcollar.

Clearly the horse had not thought to listen to our earlier conversation and shoving YO out of the way, disappeared at a smart canter into the distance, stopping in a field of crops some way off. It took 3 people to catch/corner her as I suspect she knew a wallop was on its way.

YO, if you read this, please be aware that you have my every sympathy. I suspect you now feel like a right prat and would have given anything in the world for it to have been anyone but me walking into the barn and witnessing at first hand the disobedience of your horse!

Disclaimer!: These are probably the only 2 nags on the yard that behave themselves in all other respects, are used for a variety of things and give their owners immense pleasure. :D:D

miss_bird

Visit site
Sorry but found that very funny.
horses will do this all the time, when i was moving yards, went to load my lad first saying we will get him out the way as he virtually loads himself, for him to be very naughty and refuse to even go near the horse eating lorry, lol all those who i said might be a bit wary walked on the lorry like it happened every day.
Next time i will keep my mouth shut

Cop-Pop

Visit site
LOL - they do like to show us up :D I can remember the first time I went to travel my pony and one of the liveries was busy telling me what to do to get her on trailer :rolleyes: C bless her walked straight on (huge sigh of relief from me ;) ) Livery had been so busy telling me about her self loading horse she forgot to put the breast bar up so her self loading horse (who in fairness does actually load himself) walked up the ramp, took a mouthful of hay and trotted off back to his field :D He was quite happy to be caught though :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
hahaha !!! Love it !!!! :D

Oh yes, I hope she saw you. The sad thing about these know-it-alls is that the horse will probably get it in the mouth now - literally. She obviously understands zilch about horse behaviour, stupid,stupid person. :rolleyes:

mattilda

Visit site
Very funny. They always do it when you really don't want them too don't they?
My wb used to pi** off before I wanted him to all the time. Hubby would say "you have to show him who is boss. Hang on to him". Yeah right, I'm 5'4" and he is a well built 17hh!! Someone on here recommended a dog choke chain and it works. Just loop it through your headcollar under the chin and fasten yopur leadrope to the rings of the choke chain. I didn't think it had a hope of working but you had to have been there to see the looks on his and my faces the first time he tried to take off. Now he is an angel....well to turn out anyway!! :)

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
My very docile mare who usually walks beautifully took off on me the other day, with me "water skiing" behind her, apparently it was hysterical to watch, luckily she headed straight to him and then onto her stable. Her BF called and she was gone like a bat out of hell.

So it goes to show they simply aren't predictable. Even YOs have off days!

FDC

little_critter

Visit site
When I first got my girl on loan and was still at the owners yard I was told she'd got into the habit of suddenly stopping dead to graze when you're riding.
She had never done it to me and it wasn't something I was bothered about.
Went out on a hack with her owner and while we're trotting along she suddenly stops dead and grazes. I was mortified! (and lucky to stay on)