Horses as big as you think??

Ash the arab

Visit site
In a post the other day it was mentioned that when you go and view a horse for sale it is often smaller than the ad! So do we really know how big a 16.2hh is?
This made me think Joe, the horse i am riding, is smaller than i think. I put at 17.1hh but maybe he is nearer 16.2hh?
Well i measured him today and he is 17.2h! Must measure the yearling, i'm thinking he is about 16.2h, how big is he going to be?!!

teapot

Visit site
Yup can agree with that -

went to see a horse that was available for share and owner had told me he was a good 15hh, maybe 15.1

Felt like a small 14.2 when I got on him

JessPickle

Visit site
Well when we went to see pickle they said he was 16.3hh, and so did his passport, then when looking at his paperwork I noticed his farmkey stuff and it said 17.2hh

meaured him and he was 17,2hh!

Jemayni

Visit site
My horse is 75% connemara but looks like a proper well-bred conne, he measures at 153 (JMB cert), but often ppl make snippy comments at shows saying he should be in the 148s
shocked.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
I think people will always adapt there horses size for their own convenience. You rarely hear of a 14.3 showjumper, they are always 14.2. Nor do you hear of a 14.1 worker they are always 14hh. Similarly you will make an eventer as close to the 16-16.3 ideal that is possible.

There is an article on main page about it saying that they might scrap height certificates, as a result of horses getting in as ponies in SJ comps, that says it all really.

seaofdreams

Visit site
i brought a new forest, tis is going back 10 years now but people kept telling me she was 15hh and so couldn't do n/f classes
she was extreamly well bred and i wanted to show her i thought she was 14hh - 14.1hh max so i got her measusred (JMB cert) and she came out at 13.3 and 3/8ths !!!

leanne123

Visit site
depending on there build some horses can be quite deciving.
when we were having breakfast this morning at yard all three of us had a guess at the height of an arab on yard. owner said 14.2, my sister said 15.1, i said 15.3. goes and pulls him out of the box to measure him hes 15.2.
on my horses passport it says 19.2 i measured him with the farrier before he put any shoes on him and hes 18.3.

Rambo

Visit site
Horse can also grow or shring an inch or two depending on how they are feeling at any point in time
shocked.gif

Also, some horses are high withered, others flatter. A high withered horse will always feel smaller as where you sit IS lower lol!

vicm2509

Visit site
My horse was sold as 16.3 and I measured him to 16.2 so its near enough. I do have trouble guessing the height of anything under 15.2 though.