Horses bolting from being chased by dogs

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Now this thread might start world war III so please read very carefully what I am saying before you the red mist comes down...............

We as dog owners should always have good recall on our dogs and be responsible dog owners, but I would imagine when a dog chases a horse sometimes it can be a case of bad timing, on a previous thread Cob has just said a dog chased her in an open field and she nearly fell off as her horse bolted and as shes never galloped before..... Now this Thread is NOT directed at cob, but it got me thinking......

I was at Tarr Steps at the weekend with my 2 boys and they are fab with other dogs so we had a couple dogs off the lead, when out of a blue a horse went trotting through the water ( never seen a horse there before in 15 yrs) so I got my boys back on the lead as I am not sure if they would chase or not, but had they not been so ancient I might not have had such go at catching them
Bridle Paths, and obviously where you know horses will be passing then yes have fantastic control over the dogs, BUT what if you are walking your dog in the middle of the country in fields where you never meet a soul, and your dog is stock trained, what if they are half a field away from you and a horse approaches them with a rider and then doggy plays fetch with the horse, is it always the fault of the dog owner??

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Visit site
A difficult one!

My horses are used to dogs as I allow my dogs to run in their paddocks. I did this purely to get the horses used to dogs.

This has been helpful on several occasions. More recently out on the bridleway when a dog came snapping and snarling and my mare didn't bat an eyelid. I was able to stand her whilst the owner, who apologised profusely, caught their dog and put it on the lead. My other horses were also being ridden by OH and friends, and all of them showed no bother at all.

This has happened a couple of times, even when cantering, my horses don't freak, we pull up and wait.

Not to say they won't ever be spooked, but as I say, it's one reason I let the dogs (only my own I might add) into the paddocks, to run around.

I think the argument is this - isn't a dog always meant to be on a lead....? If the dog is half a field away, are you fully in control then...?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Interesting thread.

Afaik dog owners are supposed to have control over their dogs at all times, but we all know that animals have their own opinions and you can't be in absolute control of a dog or a horse every moment, especially when the unexpected happens.

I think the red mist descends when the dog owner in question doesn't give a flying wossname whether their dog causes havoc or not. I have been told by one woman that her dog was 'entitled' to chase my mare. Red mist and towering rage ensued as you can imagine. You are obviously responsible and want your dogs to have a good time under circumstances when it seems safe to let them off the lead. If things went a bit pear-shaped you would wade in and try to help, wouldn't you? Under those circumstances I'd be a lot less likely to be cross.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Yes exactly you two! My dogs are very used to horses, but I can't say they wouldn't chase for sure! But I must admit if I am in the middle of the country where I know its just cows and sheep I am happy to let them off as they are bomb proof with stock..... BUT saying that one of mine is stone deaf now so I NEVER let him off, as I have no recall... I suppose I was really on about freak exposure to a horse. I think most dogs owners will let their dogs have a few laps of a field and not always be in total control.... we could argue should you be riding a horse if you have never galloped ?? Again the answer would be of course you should... but!?

Hexx

Visit site
I can also see it from both sides.

I have two dogs and I always make sure they are put back on leads when we see horses. Luckily I have very good recall with both. Bella is not bothered with horses and actually would be fine off lead around them, but as I don't know whether the horse would be OK, then she goes on the lead. Jasper used to bark at them - but has got a lot better as he's gotten older. However, it is amazing how many riders don't say thank you but give you a dirty look as though you are not allowed to be there.

As a rider, the only time I have fallen off is when my horse was startled by a dog bursting out of some trees barking it's head off. Cue spook sideways and me being ejected to land on my feet, then fall forward on my knees at great velocity! The owner just stood there and stared at me - didn't even ask if I was OK or help me get to my feet. I was just so shocked I couldn't say anything to him.

Since then, my horse has always been a bit wary of dogs - although we have had dogs on the yards we have been on, he's not liked them getting too close and has kicked one when it got too close.

I always say thank you to people for putting their dogs on leads, but on the other hand, if they don't and the dog is heading my way, I will also warn them that the dog may get kicked if it comes any closer. It's likely it won't get kicked, but sometimes just giving them the warning might spur them to actually catch the dog and put it on a lead.

FoxTrotx

Visit site
On a lighter note all three of my dogs are used to being chased by a boisterous youngster so seem to think that horses chasing dogs is normal and tend to give them a wide berth.
Also I can rest safe in the knowledge that my mare is not at all bothered about the dogs running with her while we ride. But she did pin her ears back and lift a leg at a barking sausage dog last time we went out.
I do agree that its the owners that don't seem to give a monkeys that wind me up (sure there would be a different story when Fluffy gets kicked into next week).

Ladydragon

Visit site
BUT what if you are walking your dog in the middle of the country in fields where you never meet a soul, and your dog is stock trained, what if they are half a field away from you and a horse approaches them with a rider and then doggy plays fetch with the horse, is it always the fault of the dog owner??

No matter how well stock trained a dog is - if the farmers around here see one loose in the field that they don't know (dog or owner) there's a chance it'll be shot... If the dog is a good distance away from the owner I suppose it gets even more complicated... One of mine is a completely ignorant mutt but too small and lazy to put herself out much and the other is very nicely trained (recalls to voice or a whistle), but I don't risk letting them off in many places... I can't really blame this farm's attitude as they lost seven sheep last week courtesy of some idiots who thought it would be a clever thing to badger bait on the edge of a sheep field...

Mine are fairly 'horse proof' and I tend to worry more keeping an eye on the dogs making sure they don't get trodden on by accident at the yard... :) I think the chase instinct though can be quite high even in a lot of couch potato dogs - perfectly fine and dandy off lead and meeting livestock but if one gets skittish in just the right way and runs, it'll fire up a lot of dogs to chase...

If I take mine out in the forest and let them off, I tend to keep them close - just because I don't know what's around the bend... There's one field near by that the farmer doesn't mind (with permission) dogs being let loose for a good run... But on your own head be it if they get into one of the stock fields...

We might be a bit different here though in that other than the forestry commission - most of the 'open' land is very actively farmed...

we could argue should you be riding a horse if you have never galloped ?? Again the answer would be of course you should... but!?

I've got no intention of galloping anywhere (I'm an old wuss :D) and novices can progress to hacking long before they experience galloping...

Having said that, you can be 110% prepared and on your toes and something totally unexpected can still happen and turn everything pear shaped - we're not perfect, animals aren't, accidents can happen and we just have to hope everything involved comes through unscathed...

CobSunshine

Visit site
Cant really learn to gallop at a rideing school lol. My experience was on a bridle path that cut through a field. Owner did not atempt to put dog on a lead or call it back. It came behind us and started trying to bite my horses feet. My boy doesnt normally bother with dogs but it just came from know where. My horse bolted into canter and because the dog wouldnt stop runing after his legs he went into full gallop. Never new my boy could move so fast! Think i would if some thing was after my legs lol. Wish i could learn him to kick!

Pedantic

Visit site
Dog off lead and not under control and causes trouble, owner in the wrong.

Mine kicked a staffy a couple of weeks ago, a right cracker, bloody thing off the lead, owner no control whatsoever and a mile away along the river, tried to bite my ponies front leg, he swung his bum round and hit it smack on, it got the message and ran off, I blame the owner :mad:

skydancer

Visit site
IMO a dog should never be too far away from the owner for the dogs safety as well as everybody elses. A dog should be under control at all times to protect livestock and wildlife. I am not saying they should be kept on leads at all times but if a dog can not be recalled immediatley then it should not be off a lead until it can.
Tonight i was out hacking on the road past a field and a huge dog started barking at us luckily his owner had him on a led and we just walked past him - thank God!:)

Shantara

Visit site
I used to let my dog off anywhere, even if she was chasing a rabbit, a sharp "OI! ANNIE!" and she'd come back.
She went deaf a couple of years ago and she's become quite aggressive with other dogs. (Warnings, she's only got one serious enemy who she will fight with. She's always on her lead when we go passed this dogs house...the other dog never is :|)
Infact, we met a rider and her dog today! Her dog was off the lead and I quickly put mine on. She didn't seem to have much control over the dog, as it came over to mine and I stood between the two. Mine snapped (she never bites, just warns) and she couldn't call her dog off mine! It wasn't being aggressive, it was just too curious.
I think before you ride with your dog, you should make sure it will listen to you, no matter what.

My doggie has and probably always will, completely ignore horses!

Last edited:

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well my girl was fine with dogs but if one appeared from no where, same for a cyclist, if it suddenly appeared it would make her jump, if some thing suddenly appears behind me it will make me jump!

If a dog came charging up to her from the front or side she was a gem and would just stand there, we would stand still until the owner took control of their dog.

I do think dog owners should be in control at all times, plenty of children are nervous of dogs bounding up to them.
My experience was on a bridle path with a pompous idiot galloping up behind us with his dog out front, that to me was a total lack of consideration. I asked him if he would like to go past with his dog after being quite rude, he then went past without a please,thank you, or sorry and we then saw him galloping his horse around a farmers field again and again. Well his attitude to his horse is a different matter, I digress.

Point is I think dog owners should always be able to control their dog or at least make a proper effort to do so, particularly if on a bridle path!
I do not find it acceptable for an out of control dog to be allowed to charge up to a horse and rider who are out minding their own

Sorry rant over :D

Shantara

Visit site
I'd also like to add, I have been charged by a dog twice, once on Archie and once on Ned.
Since Ned is too scared to leave the others, he just cantered on the spot, untill the dog had gone. Thankfully, that didn't take long.

Archie was obviously terrified, but he held it together and carried on walking. I think it must have nipped his hind leg, because he never ever kicks out and although he missed, he really went for the dog, he certainly meant to hurt it. The owner couldn't care less!!

Spiritedly

Visit site
I have 2 dogs, one is a german shepherd with a high prey drive, yes she is obedient and yes she comes to call but if something runs her instincts can take over, she tends to come back but I'd rather not take a chance so if I see a horse rider I shout for them to wait and put her back on the lead. I have had an incident where a rottweiler was round my old boys back legs, barking and being a pain, I knew he wasn't good with dogs and had a habit of rearing when upset, and going over on a couple of memorable occasions! so when I saw the dog coming I stopped and called for the owner to please put it back on the lead, her response...Oh she's never met a horse before it'll be good for her...I then pointed out my horse wasn't good with dogs and she said....well if she gets kicked she'll stay away in future...by this time my horse was contemplating having a complete spaz attack!. The bridleway we were on was narrow, with houses on one side and a canal on the other, going back wasn't an option as we had just come off a busy road and I wasn't going back onto it with a wound up TB. the owner did eventually put the dog on it's lead but not till we'd put on a rodeo display. Then to top it off she told me I shouldn't be out on my horse if I couldn't control him!

rockysmum

Visit site
Personally I dont mind if dogs chase my horses, they dont bother and are used to dogs running around. Our whippet used to run around the field at a hundred miles an hour, in between their legs while they were galloping some times.

My question would be who's fault is it if your horse kicks said dogs from here to next week. Two of mine have done it in the past. Only when collie types nipped their heels but still. Actually there was one occasion when my mare doubled barreled a very large dog which was trying to kill my dog (mine was on a lead)

I am a dog owner myself, but I think I would need to be very sure I could call my dog back before letting her off when other animals were around.

Shutterbug

Visit site
Its a difficult one - my horse is normally fine with dogs, we had a loose rottie cross chase us though the country park once and while it was snapping at his heels, my horse wasn't really that bothered - a few kicks out with a leg to try and chase the dog off but he didnt try and take off - I on the other hand was squeeling like a nutter and waving my whip at it :D But on another occasion a mans Alsation dog came bounding out of the trees towards us and horse got such a surprise he spun and kicked out and I came off - as soon as he realised it was a dog he was fine and started nibbling the nearby grass - guy was hollering like an idiot for his dog who was completely ignoring him and I gave him a right mouthful about not having control over his dog. Funny, haven't seen him since and I walk my dog there all the time (on leash at all times as he has a mind of his own and zero recall when the mood takes him). Most dog owners I encounter are quick to get control of their dogs and if they aren't I politely remind them. I recall when I first bought my horse one couple who had a labrador puppy running around - I had no idea how Arion would react so shouted ahead at them to put the dog on a leash as they didnt appear to be bothered - his reply was "we dont have a leash" - so I asked him to pick the dog up as I wasn't sure how the horse would react to a crazy puppy bouncing all over him - they gave me a lecture on how I didnt own the park to which I replied that next time I would just let my horse kick their dog and anyway the park rules were dog under control at all times because of all the wildlife they have in pens and not having a leash on a puppy of about months was just asking for trouble. Im actually more concerned about the damage my horse could do their dog than my horse doing anything silly around a dog

Marydoll

Visit site
Now this thread might start world war III so please read very carefully what I am saying before you the red mist comes down...............

We as dog owners should always have good recall on our dogs and be responsible dog owners, but I would imagine when a dog chases a horse sometimes it can be a case of bad timing, on a previous thread Cob has just said a dog chased her in an open field and she nearly fell off as her horse bolted and as shes never galloped before..... Now this Thread is NOT directed at cob, but it got me thinking......

I was at Tarr Steps at the weekend with my 2 boys and they are fab with other dogs so we had a couple dogs off the lead, when out of a blue a horse went trotting through the water ( never seen a horse there before in 15 yrs) so I got my boys back on the lead as I am not sure if they would chase or not, but had
they not been so ancient I might not have had such go at catching them
Bridle Paths, and obviously where you know horses will be passing then yes have fantastic control over the dogs, BUT what if you are walking your dog in the middle of the country in fields where you never meet a soul, and your dog is stock trained, what if they are half a field away from you and a horse approaches them with a rider and then doggy plays fetch with the horse, is it always the fault of the dog owner??

Imo yes, if you cant call your dog back in all circumstances as far as im concerned, its not under control and it shouldnt be off the lead.

LaurenM

Visit site
If I had a £1 for everytime I heard 'its ok, my dog is behaves around horses'...my reply - 'the horse isn't'..

My horse has never been bothered with dogs but I feel by asking them to put their dog on a lead, it'll be ingrained in their minds the next time they meet a horse.

I've had three dogs run right up her backside - all of which would have been kicked out at by my friend's horse had she been with me. There's also been around 6 reported dog attacks in my area. My horse means more to me than to risk it!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We met a woman walking her spaniel puppy earlier today ( in fact she came along our private lane, looking for a path across the fields). We chatted to her, both our horses are unfazed by dogs, most of the time. The silly woman was allowing the pup to run behind/in front/ between/round the horses legs, on its extending lead. I did comment that if it got stood on, my horse has very big feet and would damage the pup. She really didn't seem to understand the danger.
I'm not sure why either dog-walkers or horse-riders are in other people's fields, would they go walking/riding round some-one else's garden?

I also think that it is very irresponsible to take a loose dog out with you when you are riding, it is some-thing I really hate to see, especially on the road.

Just as an aside, there is a vast difference between a bolting horse, which is completely panic-stricken and will not stop for anything and one which is running away but can be stopped eventually.

Last edited:

claireandnadia

Visit site
Ok my 18 month old lab used to be allowed on the yard I was on so got very used to the horses but did still run up to them but to see the rider on top. I always did try to correct her when this happened.
Now, we are still learning recall. Some days she is great, some days not and if you don't practise recall whilst out on a walk then how are they going to learn. At home and at our training she is fine as there are not horses/dogs/people/rabbits etc there to distract them.
When I am out on a walk now and I see horses I will catch my dog and put her on a lead but I may come stuck one day and turn a corner and see a horse and I'll deal with that when it happens.

Shantara

Visit site
I also think that it is very irresponsible to take a loose dog out with you when you are riding, it is some-thing I really hate to see, especially on the road.

I agree and disagree.
There's a little dog who comes out with the ride sometimes and it's been a very good learning experience for all the horses. Ned has never been good with dogs (Apart from my doggie, but she's so old and doesn't move quickly) but the dog came with us today and he was completely fine.
It's very well trained and I don't feel worried at all with it, not even on the roads.

I agree in most cases though! Unless the owner REALLY knows what they are doing.

M_G

Visit site
I have met one chap who was rather furious that his two bull mastiffs have to be re homed or PTS..
Why? Because he allowed them to chase 2 mares in a private field one of which was in foal, his reasoning was the dogs were only playing and wouldn't have hurt the horses (this man is 50+) when you are up against owners like that there is no hope

Marydoll

Visit site
I have met one chap who was rather furious that his two bull mastiffs have to be re homed or PTS..
Why? Because he allowed them to chase 2 mares in a private field one of which was in foal, his reasoning was the dogs were only playing and wouldn't have hurt the horses (this man is 50+) when you are up against owners like that there is no hope

I had a large breed dog worrying my horses in their field last week, i have spoken to the owner who assures me it wont happen again, this is the 2nd time her dogs have been worrying livestock,that i know of and although i am a dog lover, tbh if i see any of her 3 dogs in my field again i wil call my brother in law who has a shotgun and shoots weekly to come and shoot it, i wont tolarate any of my horses being injured by out of control dogs, i will video the dogs worrying for evidence with my phone, call the owner and let her know what im about to do of she doesnt get her dogs under control immediately they will be shot

mirage

Visit site
I was shepherding last spring and noticed a man running across our fields with a loose dog.We had yellow NFU/RSPCA signs up all over the place asking dog owners not to let their animals loose among livestock,but obviously they don't apply to everyone as in this case it was the local policeman.He wasn't even on the footpath and it was lambing season too.:(

MiCsarah

Visit site
My horse is great with dogs as I always take mine out hacking around the farm with me (we never meet anyone as private land). Makes the dogs not bothered about horses and the horses not bothered about dogs

SpruceRI

Visit site
My pony is a little nervous of dogs as has been chased in her field several times by dogs escaped from their gardens....

If we meet any loose ones out on a hack I do keep a close eye and if it looks like it might chase us, I try to 'get in there first' and chase it back.

Even if it doesn't run away, just doing that slightly alters Rosie's flight instinct.

For me, dogs are the biggest hazard on a hack. And it stumps me that one of my local horse owning houses that I pass still thinks it's OK for her dogs to belt down their drive, bark at us viciously and the little dog gets under the gate and comes yapping..... 'because it's OK, they're fine with horses'.... really?

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
I think dog situations are sometimes unavoidable.

We were hacking yesterday and to access the bridle path had to ride past a house with 2 massive dobermans in the garden who charged at us, barking and trying to clamber over the fence. Honey was NOT a happy bunny and I said at the time to my friend 'those dogs shouldn't be allowed in a garden right next door to a bridle path'

When I got home I thought about it and realised that was a bit stupid, the owners can't not let their dogs out in their own garden for fear of horses coming past.

However I think on bridle ways unless you KNOW your dog is good with horses you should keep them on a lead

Molasses

Visit site
My horse is great with dogs...and my dog is great with horses.
This is not an accident, this is effort on my part to make sure they are that way. Unfortunately most non-horsey people don't have the opportunity to train 'horse interactions'. And why should they? So it's therefore the horse-riders responsibility to train their horse to be good around dogs:confused: isn't it:confused:

I hack out with my dog and always get compliments from total strangers on how good she is to stay with me while mounted. But i spent a lot of time when she was young to insure with me (i.e yummy treats) was way way better then not with me (i.e. lost and alone;)) It only takes a little respect and effort on every part...sigh...in the perfect world:rolleyes:

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I often walk with a dozen dogs. They are stock trained and so I allow them to run around and about. Walking through a field of sheep they will be told to 'come in' and walk as a pack around me.

We have met many riders and the dogs know better than to even look at the horses, even if they are cantering past us.

It is down to the owner to train their dog to come to call and not to chase anything unless it is told it can.