Horses eating acorns - advice please...

Ginn

Visit site
If you are aware that some horses are out 24/7 in a field with a big acorn (oak?) tree and the ground is littered with acorns but the owner of said horses will not do anything about the situation is there anything that can be done?

polaris

Visit site

Ginn

Visit site
Thanks - sadly I've pointed out to the owner the dangers (infact she was the person who first made me aware of them all those years ago when I was just starting to ride!!!!) but she is refusing to do anything about it!

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Well we've fenced off the trees at work - haven't noticed any of ours near them but better safe than sorry - had a pony in the village die once, it was being fed Yew by some passing children, absolutely awful so I'm paranoid poisonous things.

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
i have had to fence off trees in muy field with electricx there are loads of acorns this year apparently it is a bumper crop this year, great! my hporses all seem to try and eat them and have a taste for them so i then had to pick them up by hand too!!! what fun!

milliepup

Visit site
My friends horse went down with colic yesterday and vet said it was due to acorns. Luckily I had already fenced of a tree that mine were taking a lot of notice of!

Better to be safe than sorry.