Horses helping disadvantaged children

unbalanced

Visit site
Does anyone have any information on programmes which use horses to help deprived or disadvantaged children? I am thinking particularly of children who need help with behavioural or emotional difficulties/control. For example my friend used to work for RDA and she heard about a (non-RDA) programme where on one of the tasks the kids where brought into a pen with two loose ponies and the instructor taught them how to get the ponies to follow them without touching them. I am sure I have read about these types of things in the horsey magazines but now I am looking for them I can't remember the names of any of them to google them. The kids would probably be up for riding as well if you know anywhere that offers that but maybe in a context more than regular riding lessons - I am looking for something that uses the horse to help the child to control their behaviour, if that makes sense.
I am in Essex if that helps. Thanks. Sorry, this probably sounds a bit confused, but hopefully someone knows what I am talking about :)

Sealine

Visit site
I do remember the programme you are referring to but I don't remember much about it. I wasn't particular impressed if I remember correctly.

I have heard of Eagala who I understand aim to achieve similar results using horses with all types of people/problems

http://www.eagala.org/uk

Natch

Visit site
Equine assisted/facilitated learning/therapy (its called lots of different things) is what you are thinking of. I'm starting a research project on it at the moment. What would you like to know?

unbalanced

Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm a teacher and I wondering if and how horses could benefit some of the kids I teach. They struggle to deal with their emotions and often get angry and can't step back and see how you are trying to help them. A lot of them don't feel that they have very much control in their own lives or have very much opportunity to do some of the things that we take/took for granted (like sport and hobbies), although not all of them of course.
I was having this conversation with my friend today who mentioned the programme I said about, which got me thinking about other similar programmes and whether they might benefit some of the kids. Alternatively, maybe just taking them riding would be beneficial for them (in terms of feeling in control of this huge animal, feeling more self-confident, having experiences and so on). At the moment I'm just throwing ideas around and trying to learn what is possible and useful really as I only have vague ill-defined ill-thought out ideas but quite a few kids I'd rather like to do something useful for.

mulledwhine

Visit site
If it is any help my friend has a special needs son, ad even though he is a ' challenge' after he has ridden his character is much calmer, although he came today did not ride, and was a little bugger :) so yes, I think it does help xxx

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
if you search on equine facilitated learning you should get loads of info ;)

Taz was a demo horse some years ago when fraknlin levinson did a demo ot loads teachers / physios / social workers about this ...... that was the format I think you are talking about ......... having people work with the horse to learn more about hoe their own actions / moods etc affect the horse / others / communication etc ...

I know tricia day who runs this http://www.equineassistedqualifications.com/ and you can get info about qualifications if you want to do sessions professionally

Taz works informally with people who have issues like autism, learning difficulties and / or physical difficulties ( Bonney joins in too ;) )

jontyandmartin.jpg

mikey.jpg

bridge.jpg

amanda saville started sportsdriving unlimted
http://www.chariots.org.uk/specialneeds.html
and I am helping her roll out a new format of driving competition for drivers of all abilities where one drives to get grades rather than placings but its based on a cross between driving trials and driving trec

we are fundraising to get an adapted funbug like this ;)

mattsfirstcompetition157.jpg

this is matt ( from sig below) with amanda in his first competition :D :D :D

Last edited:

Natch

Visit site
Some of the stories and reports from efl are amazing. If you google the natural leadership centre there is a video on the website showing why horses work so well for working out issues (that one is coaching business people though). The research papers I have been reading suggest that horses work so well for kids with emotional issues because they are huge animals who you have to get it right and be sincere with to get decent results. Many of the programs around mention that horses have no hidden agenda or ego, which in turn helps us see past our own. Many of the kuds going on these programs have had no sense of achievement or pride, and distrust humans making a conventional therapy approach difficult. I was reading one simple account of a girl who had been named 'feral child' learning hygiene and personal appearance because lof being shown how to groom a horse and clean tack. If her hair wasn't tied back and she wasn't dressed appropriately she couldn't ride. She also transferred her feelings about her family life (very sad upbringing) onto her assigned horse by wondering out loud things like 'i wonder if coco minds that none of her brothers and sisters have the same daddy'. It appears that often the horse becomes a metaphor for an issue or person, and the participant literally works through the metaphor with the horse, and with a skilled facilitator learns to apply that to their original situation. I find the whole subject fascinating and am rather keen!

rockysmum

Visit site
I havn't seen horses used exclusively with children with these sorts of problems but a school where I did some cover had a farm. They delivered a BTEC first and an Intermediate in animal care. They had ponies and other animals and it was extremely successful.

I have seen some work being done with prisoners and natural horsemanship, often the same kids a few years on.

cider loving mare

Visit site
This was something I have been interested in doing, and hopefully in a few years and have had some more life experience I will be able to fulfill this goal. Here are some websites I have looked at in the past.

http://www.sihequinetherapy.org.uk/

http://www.leap-etc.co.uk/index.php

http://www.turnaboutpegasus.co.uk/testimonials

http://equineassistedqualifications...ent&view=category&layout=blog&id=25&Itemid=53 (this one explains about the various qualifications and requirements for equine assisted learning/ psychotherapy.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
The charity Circles Network run a programme called Taking the Reins, and the HHO user InTouch runs similar programmes in NI and was very helpful when I was looking into doing this. For various reasons I decided against it.