Horses in films - Cortez?

Clodagh

Visit site
I am just watching the Crown and am wondering why Princess Margaret is riding a Spanish type horse, that would be odd in the Royal Household in the fifties, I assume.
Is that because people that supply film companies tend to use them? If so, why? Becauser they are beautiful - which they are?

Reactions: DD

Equi

Visit site
That’s something that always annoys me in old films. Nearly every main character has a Spanish or friesian horse.

SpringArising

Visit site
I know nothing about horses in films, but I've always heard that Spanish horses are very amenable and easy to train. Might be something to do with it.

Reactions: DD

sasquatch

Visit site
Looks like a Friesian which Equi mentioned earlier 😉

I haven't seen it, but in fairness B is dark with a big long mane so I can see where the Friesian comes in!
you'd think as Poldark is set in Cornwall they'd have at least tried Welsh Cobs, although knowing what some are like maybe they're not the best if some actors are complete novices

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
My ISH - Connemara dam ID×TB sire (I think 😂) she's 15.3

Hate this pic of me but she looks lovely 😂

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1548518718168.jpg
    FB_IMG_1548518718168.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 21

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
well there is the argument that they were 'the' war horse back in the day. But also very good film horses-trainable, bold, pretty and a very smooth ride.

you see more and more Friesians in films these days-not sure why anyone would have chosen to ride them tbh ;) but they do look impressive.

once you've ridden Iberians not much else suffices.

The Queen has certainly been given Lusitanos over the years although I don't think there were many/any before the 70s, never seen a photo of any of the royals riding them!

Clodagh

Visit site
Everyone on here always says how difficult they are! :) (I'm not planning on buying one either way).

Nudibranch

Visit site
In fairness to Poldark, there's what looks like an elderly Dales type working at the mine, and they definitely keep the smarter horses for the wealthier characters. George had a pair of Friesians to pull one of his carriages iirc, which wouldn't be unlikely, and I've seen him on a smart riding/light hunter type. Francis had a handsome dun/buckskin (sorry, not a colour geek). The only Iberian type I've seen was a grey ridden by Caroline. The rest are fairly believable...

stormox

Visit site
I used to work for a chap who supplied horses for films- both carriage and riding. We did all the Hammer horrors made at Pinewood and a lot of period films, and the only type of horse we ever had was irish hunter types and ID crosses bought either direct from ireland or through the sales. Colour was very important as the carriages always needed a team of bays, a team of blacks etc.
Also there is a chap in Northants (I think hes called Daniel Naprous) who uses a lot of Spanish horses and hires them out to films.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Everyone on here always says how difficult they are! :) (I'm not planning on buying one either way).
Maybe because people try and feed them like tb's or arabs and then just look at them :p... they may be described as hot blooded but they are the royal cob of Spain and work best on a cob type diet (you know, barely anything).

Disclaimer because I love to generalise: Every cob is different though, and that goes for a spanish horse cob so whilst most will work for peanuts, a few might need a bit more to keep them going

Snowfilly

Visit site
I used to work for a chap who supplied horses for films- both carriage and riding. We did all the Hammer horrors made at Pinewood and a lot of period films, and the only type of horse we ever had was irish hunter types and ID crosses bought either direct from ireland or through the sales. Colour was very important as the carriages always needed a team of bays, a team of blacks etc.
Also there is a chap in Northants (I think hes called Daniel Naprous) who uses a lot of Spanish horses and hires them out to films.

Dan used to be - probably still is? - part of the Devil's Horseman stunt trope display team, and i know they had others as well as the Spanish horses. A few cobs, couple of heavies, some ponies etc for different roles. He's involved in horse driving trials now as well. Teenage me also thought he was rather um...gorgeous!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Yup, hes the Devils Horsemen or part of it. I was on a yard next to them and used to see lots of hatless teenage girls hairing about, and every now and again he would take a team out driving and scare the living daylights out of the local horses. Hes doing pretty well in driving trials now