Horses In The War,How They Suffered.

geegee1959

Visit site
One my Daughters got War Horse for me,so i sat and watched it yesterday,and i must admit there were parts where the tears flowed freely.How those poor Horses must have suffered and then when the war ended it was only the Officers Horses that were granted a passage home,and the others who had given their all and managed to survive were sent off to be sold,most ending up at the Butchers,what a sad end for those gallent Animals.All those Human lives that were lost to,many of them not more than Boys.

ChiffChaff

Visit site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_WWI

Very interesting and sad read (I know it's only Wiki!)

I always think WWI was the most tragic and senseless war. I'm a history teacher and I'm teaching WWI later in the year, I think I might bring the animal lives lost into it when I do teach it. I think it might be a little easier for 13 year old girls to relate to than just reeling off stats about the millions of men killed :( (although obviously I will do that too!)

Warhorse is a lovely book though. I will recommend it to them!

suzysparkle

Visit site
Those who went to the butchers were more fortunate than most (excluding of course those who did come home). What is more tragic is that a lot of them ended up Cairo, Egypt and sentenced to a life of hard labour. Harsh as it may sound, a bullet in the head would have been an awful lot kinder. #

Have a look at the Brooke, I support this charity via monthly donation and am always moved by their work reports. This link explains how the charity was founded - by the amazing Dorothy Brooke who made the plight of these amazing Horses public knowledge and ensured they had a peaceful end.

http://www.thebrooke.org/about-us/our-history
I started to read their book, and it was so emotional I couldn't finish it. There's a bit where 2 old friends meet again and she makes sure they stay together at the end. It's heart wrenching :-( One of these days I'll finish it.

PS I did enjoy the film. Best bit was when the Germans threw over the wire cutters.....and the final scene.