Horses kicking in trailers

Parkranger

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. My boy loads without blinking but once he's in the trailer he kicks the hell out of it!

Usually around corners etc and I'm thinking it's due to the fact that he's not tightly packed in as he would be in a box......

So other than going out and buying a horsebox not really sure what could help him (other than travelling him more).

We made sure that the other horse wasn't on his blind side but he got very grumpy and kept nipping at her - so not like him!

Any ideas?

Parkranger

Visit site
Haahaa! I wasn't towing at the time but driving behind - she took it very very slowly especially around corners but he was kick kick kick all the way (certainly rules out ever buying an older trailer, he'd kick his way out!)

LucyDT

Visit site
My new horse does exactly the same thing - walks into the trailer without hesitation then goes mad, really kicking out. I came on here for advice and was told to try without the partition (I know that some people don't agree with taking the partition out). Ever since we took it out he's travelled perfectly (touch wood!) He wedges his bottom in the corner and travels slightly 'herringbone' style, we cross tie him and he doesn't move at all. He always arrives cool and chilled out - it has really worked for us. The only problem is that obviously you can't take two at a time...

Parkranger

Visit site
we almost always travel with another horse so taking outt he partition isn't an option.

He's blind in one eye so he needs to have the other horse on his 'seeing' side or it makes him worse (same when out hacking).

juliehannah58

Visit site
My horse kicks in the box, it's a right pain! However, she doesn't kick kick kick all the time, she won't murmer and then just do one almighty kick, in our box they travel backwards and it always scares the hell out of me! She is never bothered at all and it usually happens after the 45min mark when she's bored. We started going out every week or more and she stopped doing it altogether.
mad.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
You need some of those inflatable 'Horse Bumpers' that mould to their shape and support them when going round corners or accross rough ground.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse kicks in the box, it's a right pain! However, she doesn't kick kick kick all the time, she won't murmer and then just do one almighty kick, in our box they travel backwards and it always scares the hell out of me! She is never bothered at all and it usually happens after the 45min mark when she's bored. We started going out every week or more and she stopped doing it altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds exactly like my mare, she also does it when stationery at traffic or lights as a sort of come-on are we there yet! I have a IFOR trailor and hang a thick heavy piece pf rubber from the back bar to just above the ground. It takes the weight from the kick and stops the noise (which is the bit she likes)!!
grin.gif

This wouldn't help a nervous horse but in her case she is not nervous or worrried!

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm not actually sure he's nervous - he came out of the trailer without an bit of sweat and the horse he travelled with looked like she'd had a few buckets of water chucked on her - she never sweats in the trailer!!

juliehannah58

Visit site
Yep, she also does it at traffic lights etc, it always makes me jump as it's right behind my head!!
shocked.gif
Little moo.

She is injured at the moment but once she's back I will copy your idea and get some springy rubber in there, that will knock the wind out of her sails!
grin.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
I had a friend (she moved away) who was in the police (mounted bit for a time) and she actually bought a 'failed' police horse from the police because he was too silly for the job.

He was a massive great big thing with a great long body (always reminded me of Forest Gump in nature) and he used to pound away in the trailer every time he went somewhere. He never looked stressed but you could hear her coming back to the yard miles away.

It was certainly something to avoid if out on a hack because it used to frighten the life out of horses she passed.

Louby

Visit site
Im with the balance theory too. My old mare used to do this but take the partition out and she travelled fine. If this isnt an option then it looks like a wagon. Im in the same position at the moment. Nightmare isnt it?