Horses killed by lightning

missy8605

New User
Visit site
Just thought I'd add in response to the articel in H&H, that four horses were killed by lightning in a field in Surrey on Nov 30th, that my pony was killed by lightning while she was out in her field on Nov 17th, in Bittaford near Ivybridge in Devon. She had 'bilateral scorch marks radiating from the front legs diagonally across the thorax' as the vet wrote. Otherwise there were no marks on her, and her rug was not marked either. It is believed that lightning struck the ground close to where she was stood grazing, and travelled up her front legs. She didn't know anything about it. The vet also said he had seen 'very few, perhaps 6 or 7' cases like this in his career of over 25 years. 'Freedom' was 16 years old, and a fun loving family pony in perfect health. She was on loan to a young girl as a confidence giver at the time of her death. The word used was 'tragic'.

sojeph

Visit site
I'm very sorry to hear that - tragic indeed.
crazy.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
A horse down the road from me was killed by lightening was a bit of a shock for owner but best way to die as really knew nothing about it. Think its more common than people imagine.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Thats so sad, i am very sorry.
13-14 Years ago my neighbours two horses, a stunning,champion cob mare and her filly foal were struck dead by lightening one night, i have always been very scared of lightening in terms of my horse since then, so tragic

KatB

Visit site
Havent known a horse be struck, but a farm/livery yard near us found a cow dead struck by lightening one morning. Makes you paranoid about leaving them out in thunder storms.

priroc

New User
Visit site
As the owner of one of the ponies killed by lightning strike a question was raised regarding whether they had been standing round a metal hay feeder. The answer is no they weren't. Please go to 'Don't use metal cattle type hay feeders in fields' to get my complete reply.

Perhaps a classic case of chinese whispers?